History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gates, Railings and Piers Forming Princes Gate

A Grade II Listed Building in Waddesdon, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8437 / 51°50'37"N

Longitude: -0.9243 / 0°55'27"W

OS Eastings: 474203

OS Northings: 216668

OS Grid: SP742166

Mapcode National: GBR C12.75C

Mapcode Global: VHDTW.XXQH

Entry Name: Gates, Railings and Piers Forming Princes Gate

Listing Date: 17 April 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096093

English Heritage Legacy ID: 490058

Location: Waddesdon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Waddesdon

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Waddesdon with Over Winchendon and Fleet Marston

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Waddesdon

Listing Text

WADDESDON

341/0/10003 SILK STREET
17-APR-03 Gates, railings and piers forming Prin
ces Gate

GV II

Gates, railing and piers at Waddesdon Village entrance to Waddesdon Manor. c.1880-99 for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild. Wrought iron and richly gilded gates and railings comprise from centre, double gates to centre with scrolls, rosettes and fan upper part crowned with elaborate scroll; fixed railing panels with elaborate scrolled panel, capped with cornice and tall scroll; and pedestrian gates, similarly detailed, with curved top and scroll. Square brick piers with stone plinth, band and cornice on which sits a stone dog finial on stone base.
HISTORY: The gates form entrance on the approach to Waddesdon Manor (built 1874-83 for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild by H.A. Destailleur) from the village of Waddesdon, which was substantially rebuilt by Ferdinand de Rothschild in the late-C19. The gates were removed by the M.o.D. and put into store during World War II. They were replaced on the existing piers in 1995 with slight modifications to allow for modern access requirements.

Group value with the adjacent Princes Lodge (q.v.) and Nos. 1 and 2 Silk Street (q.v.). These elaborate gates and their piers form an important component of the estate of the Grade I Waddesdon Manor (q.v.)

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.