This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8441 / 51°50'38"N
Longitude: -0.9244 / 0°55'27"W
OS Eastings: 474194
OS Northings: 216710
OS Grid: SP741167
Mapcode National: GBR C12.744
Mapcode Global: VHDTW.XXP6
Entry Name: 1 & 2, Silk Street
Listing Date: 17 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096095
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490060
Location: Waddesdon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Waddesdon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Waddesdon with Over Winchendon and Fleet Marston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
341/0/10005 SILK STREET
17-APR-03 1 & 2
Pair of estate cottages. c.1880-99 for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild, probably by W. Taylor of Bierton. Red brick with tile hung first floor. Pitched tile roof with ridge tiles and wide brick corbelled chimneys with short pilasters to ridge. Arts and Crafts style estate cottages.
EXTERIOR: WEST elevation to Silk Street with advanced entrance porch to left above which a gabled semi-dormer resting on corbelled brackets and faced in roughcast between vertical timbers, with central 3-light oriel with tile roof. To left, ridge stack at far end. To right, small dormer resting on corbelled brackets with 2-light window. To centre of the tile hung first floor, a plaque with Rothschild badge, above which a ridge chimney stack. SOUTH elevation has 3-light dormer in tile-hung gable, with applied roughcast and timber to its small gable. To right, a 2-light window. Ground floor extension with pitched tile roof. 2 and 3-light windows under brick segmental arches to the ground floors. Entrance to one of the cottages is to rear.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: Nos. 1 and 2 Silk Street and Princes Gate Lodge, adjacent to Princes Gate, form part of the entrance on the approach to Waddesdon Manor (built 1874-83 for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild by H.A. Destailleur) from the village of Waddesdon, which was substantially rebuilt by Ferdinand de Rothschild in the late-C19.
Nos. 1 and 2 Silk Street form a group with the adjacent Princes Gate (q.v.) and Princes Gate Lodge (q.v.). They also have group value with the other listed buildings in the village, particularly the similarly designed Nos. 93 and 94 High Street. This pair of Estate Cottages forms a component of the estate of the Grade I Waddesdon Manor (q.v.)
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings