History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Frisby Jarvis Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Abbey, City of Leicester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6426 / 52°38'33"N

Longitude: -1.1431 / 1°8'35"W

OS Eastings: 458076

OS Northings: 305332

OS Grid: SK580053

Mapcode National: GBR FDG.MK

Mapcode Global: WHDJB.DTWY

Entry Name: The Frisby Jarvis Building

Listing Date: 15 April 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096104

English Heritage Legacy ID: 490070

Location: Leicester, LE3

County: City of Leicester

Unitary Authority Ward: Abbey

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Leicester The Abbey

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Leicester

Listing Text


718/0/10189 FROG ISLAND
15-APR-03 (East side)
33-45
The Frisby Jarvis Building

II

Former worsted spinning mill. 1867, with office block extension of 1881. Both parts for William Thompson and Sons by the Leicester architects Shenton and Baker. Red brick with moulded and cut brick dressings, also blue brick, coloured tile and stone dressings. Slate hipped roofs and side stacks. Italianate palazzo style with prominent and elaborately bracketed cornice. 4 storeys. 21-window range at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors of metal framed windows: those to 1st floor are casements and have round-arched heads, those above have segmental arches; all have gauged brick heads with key blocks. Similar windows to ground floor have elaborate cast-iron grilles to lower part. A 3-window section to centre right breaks forward and has rusticated corner pilasters and tripartite central window on each floor. Altered opening to ground floor with original doorway with decorative lintel to left. This section is crowned by a pediment, which has a clock-face within it. To left of the main block is a 2-storey extension in similar style of 1881, with sash windows and a doorway with double-leafed doors. Lower spinning sheds to rear.
This carefully detailed and monumental factory building was built for worsted spinning for the Leicester hosiery industry. It is a landmark in this part of Leicester and its side overlooks the River Soar.
Pevnser, N., Buildings of England, Leicestershire and Rutland, 1984, p.240.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.