This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6396 / 51°38'22"N
Longitude: -0.3359 / 0°20'9"W
OS Eastings: 515249
OS Northings: 194735
OS Grid: TQ152947
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z.9ZD
Mapcode Global: VHGQ9.418W
Entry Name: Reveley Lodge and Associated Buildings
Listing Date: 11 February 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096108
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490074
Location: Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD23
Electoral Ward/Division: Bushey Heath
Built-Up Area: Bushey
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bushey Heath St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
463/0/10028 ELSTREE ROAD
REVELEY LODGE AND ASSOCIATED BUILDINGS
House. c.1845 core, extensively remodelled and enlarged c.1895, with minor C20 additions. Brick, mostly rendered, with hipped slate roofs.
PLAN: Linear plan with service wing to east end, central hall with main stair to the rear, and formal rooms to west end.
EXTERIORS: NORTH elevation to Elstree Road with advanced brick entrance porch, further extended by 2 bays with cast-iron columns and pitched roof with glass panels. Wood brackets to eaves, string course. To long elevation, sashes with small multiple panes, and bay window of bottle-glass over small multi-pane lights.
SOUTH elevation with single-storey Conservatory to west end, with small mansard roof, and 2 hipped roof sections above. To centre, canted stair tower, to right, canted entrance to Dining Room, then bay window with bottle glass panes over leaded panes of 3 bays, all with irregularly spaced sash windows to first floor. Eastern bays are plainer. WEST elevation with bay window of 3 bays to Billiard Room
INTERIOR: HALL with curved open well stair has balusters with very slender middles in canted stairtower to south, and plaster ceiling to hall with hexagon motif. To west, 1895 Billiard Room, extended Drawing Room and Conservatory to south side. DRAWING Room with cornice and periodic flat pilasters, elaborate plaster ceiling with strap-work motif and elaborate C18-style chimneypiece to west end. Folding shutters at 2 pairs of French windows. BILLIARD Room panelled with dentil cornice, above which 1895 Arthur Silver grassweave wallpaper stencilled with 'The Tulip Garden' renewed late-C20. Wide semi-circular arch to south end, beyond which panelling continues, central fireplace with fluted pilasters, angled tiles, cast-iron grate, flanked by 2 niches. Behind this, toilets with fittings. At west end, bay window with leaded glass. Ceiling coved with glass tray above. Speaking tube. CONSERVATORY with tiled floor and cast-iron framed lights. To east of centre, DINING room with plaster ceiling of interlaced rounded-corner squares and rosettes pattern, full-height wood chimneypiece with mirror above and splayed Delft tiles inside. SITTING room with plaster ceiling as in Dining Room, wood chimneypiece with glazed brown brick inside, window with bottle-glass panes to corridor that leads to service end of the house. SERVICE wing with Kitchen with open fireplace, pantries, butler's room with safe, bell board, secondary stair. Rising panelled shutters to passage windows. FIRST floor with bedrooms with decorative plaster ceilings, sinks with Delft tile surrounds, plumbed-in marble surround sinks, built-in cupboards.
HISTORY: The original house was built between 1842 and 1845 by John Titsel Harvey of Caldecote Hill. This house was bought by Ann Reveley in 1845, who expanded the site and passed it through the Reveley line and eventually to Jocelyn Tufton Farrant Otway [son of the patron of the former Otway or Caldecote Towers (q.v.) across the Elstree Road]. Otway commissioned London architect A.E. Hubert to extend Reveley Lodge to the east with new servants quarters, and to the west with the enlarged drawing room and the new Billiard Room, with Arthur Silver grassweave wallpaper and Conservatory. In 1910, the house was leased by artist Albert Ranney Chewett [1877-1965] whose work now in the Bushey Museum includes a number of scenes of Reveley Lodge.
SUBSIDIARY: Coach House and Stables (q.v.) and Gothic style Boiler House with attached wall and lean-to glasshouses (q.v.) listed separately.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings