This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.451 / 53°27'3"N
Longitude: -2.0707 / 2°4'14"W
OS Eastings: 395400
OS Northings: 394917
OS Grid: SJ954949
Mapcode National: GBR FXZJ.HM
Mapcode Global: WHB9R.5J67
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 1 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096128
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490094
Location: Tameside, SK14
Electoral Ward/Division: Hyde Godley
Built-Up Area: Hyde (Tameside)
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Hyde St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Chester
1033/0/10036 LUNN ROAD
01-APR-03 CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
Anglican church. 1868, with minor C20 alterations. By J. Medland Taylor, architect. Random polygonal sandstone with red brick dressings and decoration and a banded slate roof.
PLAN: 2 cell plan, comprised of nave with belfry and integral aisles and chancel with vestry.
Exterior : East front with wide gable incorporating lean-to aisles to each side beneath roof slopes at a shallower angle than those to the nave. Pointed arched double doorway to centre set below 3-light stepped lancet window flanked by tall stepped buttresses which terminate at the springing of the window arch. The buttresses are framed by decorative red brickwork which is linked to horizontal brick banding extending the full width of the gables and terminating at the sloping aisle corner buttresses. Double planked doors with elaborate strap hinges. Lower buttresses define the junctions of nave and aisles. 4-bay nave with paired lancets to each bay set between low stepped buttresses. 2-bay chancel with side offshuts, that to the south side with a pointed arched doorway with a single side window. Tall chimney with elaborate corbelled cap at the junction of the nave and chancel, with bell and gabled bell cover fixed to its east face. East gable to chancel incorporates end of vestry offshut to left.
INTERIOR: Simply-furnished interior with painted plaster and brick surfaces. Complex roof structure, with steeply-pitched king post trusses with elongated braces or struts extending outwards from the centres of the tie beam soffits.
There are 3 windows with Morris and Co. stained glass The 3-light east window depicts The Virgin, Christ as Love and St John in separate panels by Edward Burne-Jones. Above the window, a circular light by Burne-Jones depicting angels with pipes. North window of 2 lights, depicting St Thomas and St Hilda in separate panels, by Burne-Jones. South window of 2 lights, depicting St George, and Christ (Salvator Mundi) by Henry Dearle.
HISTORY: The church replaced an earlier St Thomas' 'church', a building in Union Street Hyde originally erected as a working mens' institute, and known locally as 'Stephen's Chapel'.
Source: Sewter, A.C. " The stained glass of William Morris and his circle" Yale University Press. 1974.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings