History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hms Dryad (Southwick House)

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwick and Widley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8747 / 50°52'29"N

Longitude: -1.1016 / 1°6'5"W

OS Eastings: 463308

OS Northings: 108743

OS Grid: SU633087

Mapcode National: GBR BC9.497

Mapcode Global: FRA 86LS.DPP

Entry Name: Hms Dryad (Southwick House)

Listing Date: 24 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096247

English Heritage Legacy ID: 146566

Location: Southwick and Widley, Winchester, Hampshire, PO17

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Southwick and Widley

Built-Up Area: Southwick (Winchester)

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Southwick

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Hambledon

Listing Text


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/11/2016

SU 60 NW
13/9

SOUTHWICK AND WIDLEY
HMS Dryad (Southwick House)

II
Country mansion. Replacement in similar style in 1843 of a house built 1800 but destroyed by fire in 1840. By S Howell. Walls of stucco, roof hidden by parapet. Symmetrical south front elevation with slight projections at each side and central bow, of three storeys, 2.1.3.1.2 windows. Rusticated ground-floor, rusticated quoins, architraves to the windows, with pediments (segmental and triangular) to the first floor, eaves cornice on console brackets. Sashes in reveals. The ground-floor has a continuous verandah, supported on Ionic columns. The east elevation, of similar form, is symmetrical, of three storeys, 1.3.1 windows, with a porte-cochere of four Ionic columns. To the west side there extends a two-storeyed service wing, of 1.5.1. windows. Headquarters of General Eisenhower and the scene of the planning of the D-day invasion 1943-44. It is understood that a large map specifically commissioned for this purpose remains in situ, covering a wall in one of the ground floor rooms.

Listing NGR: SU6332408824

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.