History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cookhill Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cookhill, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2137 / 52°12'49"N

Longitude: -1.9229 / 1°55'22"W

OS Eastings: 405366

OS Northings: 257274

OS Grid: SP053572

Mapcode National: GBR 3K0.0PW

Mapcode Global: VHB07.MM9C

Entry Name: Cookhill Priory

Listing Date: 30 July 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096283

English Heritage Legacy ID: 148363

Location: Cookhill, Wychavon, Worcestershire, B49

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Cookhill

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Cookhill

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Inkberrow

Listing Text

SP 05 NE INKBERROW CP EVESHAM ROAD (west side)
Cookhill

6/89 Cookhill Priory

30.7.59

GV II*


Farmhouse incorporating remnants of Cistercian nunnery. Probably C15 with
additions of 1763 and early C20. Timber-frame, mostly clad in brick;
additions of brick with ahslar dressings. Front (west) range 1763 and
early C20, rear range parallel to front, and slightly longer to south.
West front: two storeys, brick parapet over modillioned stone cornice,
stone band to ground floor, ashlar quoins; angled bay window to left,
four windows to rest of front, all with moulded stone architraves and
glazing-bar sashes; the three windows to the right are the early C20
addtion; ground floor: architraves have keystones, entrance immediately
to right of bay has stone doorcase; Doric pilasters and segmental pediment.
Interior reported to have a staircase with turned balusters and ramped hand-
rail, C18 doorcases and a C18 chimneypiece. The extensive earthworks around
the house are scheduled as an Ancient Monument. The nunnery was founded in
C12. (VCH 3, pp 419-420; BoE p 123-4; P Reid, 1980, Burke's and Savill's
Guide to Country Houses, Vol II, Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire,
Worcestershire, London, pp 198-199).


Listing NGR: SP0536657274

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.