History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wesley Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Melbourne, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.823 / 52°49'22"N

Longitude: -1.4273 / 1°25'38"W

OS Eastings: 438685

OS Northings: 325210

OS Grid: SK386252

Mapcode National: GBR 6G8.5XK

Mapcode Global: WHDHF.19LM

Entry Name: Wesley Hall

Listing Date: 11 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096366

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83143

Location: Melbourne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Melbourne

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Melbourne St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Melbourne

Listing Text

SK 38/3925 PARISH OF MELBOURNE POTTER STREET
6/159 (South Side)
Wesley Hall
GV II
Savings bank and Athenaeum, now Wesleyan Hall. 1853-4 by
H I Stevens of Derby in Italianate style with minor later
alterations. Red brick with stone dressings and plinth,
rusticated stone quoins and wide plain first floor stone band
with similar ground floor sill band and narrower first floor
sill band. Hipped slate roof with moulded stone cornice Two
storeys and four bays with tower attached to south east corner.
Main elevation has advanced single storey porches to either side
also with hipped slate roofs, rusticated quoins and moulded
cornices. Each porch has a semi-circular headed doorcase with
rusticated jambs, moulded arch with console keystone, continuous
raised impost bands and a flush panelled door below divided
overlight. Between the porches there are four windows in
moulded surrounds, plus console keystones, with timber cross
windows. To the centre there is an elaborate late C19 ironwork
bracket carrying wooden sign. Above there are four, more widely
spaced, plain sashes in similar surrounds. Above again is the
deep band at the base of the cornice, there is a recessed panel
with 'Athenaeum' inscribed in raised capital letters. Similar
windows to west gable wall with 'AD 1853' inscribed in the
cornice. Similar tripartite sashes in moulded surrounds to east
gable wall with 'SAVINGS BANK' inscribed above. Attached tower
in similar style except two top stages which have rusticated
corner pilaster strips and central panels with blocked circular
keystoned openings to lower stage and twin semi-circular headed
windows above to each side with a moulded cornice over.
Interior is very plain with C20 fittings. The building was
opened by Viscount Palmerston, Prime Minister to Queen Victoria
between 1855-1858 and 1859-1865 who also laid the foundation
stone.


Listing NGR: SK3868525210

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.