History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shaw House

A Grade II Listed Building in Melbourne, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8196 / 52°49'10"N

Longitude: -1.4391 / 1°26'20"W

OS Eastings: 437894

OS Northings: 324820

OS Grid: SK378248

Mapcode National: GBR 6G8.8YR

Mapcode Global: WHDHD.VDW8

Entry Name: Shaw House

Listing Date: 18 February 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096368

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83150

Location: Melbourne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Melbourne

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Melbourne St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Melbourne

Listing Text

SK 32 SE PARISH OF MELBOURNE ROBINSON'S HILL
5/166 (North Side)
18.2.71 Shaw House
GV II
House. 1793 and 1839 to 1842 with minor later alterations.
Stuccoed brick with stone dressings and red brick. Hipped plain
tile roof with brick side and ridge stacks plus moulded cornice
to front range and plain tiled roof with gable stacks and
dentilled eaves band to rear range. Early C19 front range has
three storeys and four bays, whilst C18 rear wing has two
storeys and three bays. Main elevation has a Tuscan columned
porch with panelled door and traceried overlight, and three
glazing bar sashes below cambered rusticated wedge lintels, two
to south and one to north. Beyond to north there its large late
C19 conservatory with a long ridge lantern topped by iron
cresting, covering two C20 glazed doors. Above there are four
glazing bar sashes below similar lintels and above again there
are four smaller sashes without lintels. Rear wing has a
central segment headed doorcase with panelled door and divided
overlight, covered by a C20 rustic wooden porch. To either side
there are segment headed windows, that to west with two
adjoining glazing bar sashes and that to east with small paned
casement. Above there is a central segment headed glazing bar
sash and to either side there are pairs of glazing bar sashes
set in segment headed openings. Interior has an early C19
Gothick stone fireplace to southern room and a wide C18
fireplace with moulded mantleshelf to eastern room of C18 wing.
There is also an C18 staircase through three floors in rear wing
and two early C19 fireplaces in the western rooms of this part.
Melbourne Hall records show that this house was built for Samuel
Robinson in 1793 and that it was extended partly at the
Robinson's expense from 1839 to 1842. Samuel Robinson is
regarded as the founder of the market garden industry in
Melbourne.


Listing NGR: SK3789424820

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.