History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moorish Temple and Attached Terrace in Elvaston Castle Gardens

A Grade II Listed Building in Elvaston, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8912 / 52°53'28"N

Longitude: -1.3965 / 1°23'47"W

OS Eastings: 440703

OS Northings: 332806

OS Grid: SK407328

Mapcode National: GBR 7GP.MRX

Mapcode Global: WHDH1.JL7D

Entry Name: Moorish Temple and Attached Terrace in Elvaston Castle Gardens

Listing Date: 11 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096396

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83013

Location: Elvaston, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Elvaston

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Elvaston-cum-Thulston-cum-Ambaston St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Shardlow

Listing Text

SK 43 SW PARISH OF ELVASTON BORROWASH ROAD
2/28 (West Side)
Moorish Temple and
Attached Terrace in
Elvaston Castle
Gardens
II
Garden pavilion and attached terrace. c1860, built for the Earl
of Harrington and designed by William Barron. Rock faced stone
with concrete and tile dressings, plus raised stone band between
basement and upper floor. Belled felted roof with wide
overhanging eaves and pierced decorative bargeboards to gables
and eaves. Single storey plus basement and single bay, with
raised terrace attached to south side. The shape of the
pavilion is bizarre with tapering basement walls and upper, side
walls curving in about half way up and curving outwards to the
top. North elevation has an advanced bay to centre with a
trefoil headed niche to basement and above, a large circular
window with diagonal tracery and a frilly edged surround,
created with the use of curved tiles, plus a delicate iron
balcony, with shell motifs to front and sides. West and east
sides have oval windows, also with diagonal tracery, in
bracketed moulded concrete surrounds, that to east above a
blocked four-centred arched basement door and that to west above
similar door and an ogee headed window. East window has the
remains of heraldic paintings to the inner edge. All the
windows originally had diamond pane metal glazing, most of which
is now missing. South side has a raised terrace, with steps to
sides and diamond paved top, which leads up to a trefoil headed
doorcase with similar headed niche above with large 'H' topped
by a coronet, within. One of a series of similar buildings
erected during the creation of lavish gardens, designed by
William Barron, between 1830 and 1860, which are included in the
Derbyshire Historic Gardens Register at Grade II*.


Listing NGR: SK4070332806

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.