History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Golden Gates and Attached Walls at Elvaston Castle

A Grade II Listed Building in Elvaston, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8892 / 52°53'20"N

Longitude: -1.3964 / 1°23'46"W

OS Eastings: 440710

OS Northings: 332582

OS Grid: SK407325

Mapcode National: GBR 7GP.V32

Mapcode Global: WHDH1.JM8Y

Entry Name: Golden Gates and Attached Walls at Elvaston Castle

Listing Date: 10 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096397

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83015

Location: Elvaston, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Elvaston

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Elvaston-cum-Thulston-cum-Ambaston St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Shardlow

Listing Text

SK 43 SW PARISH OF ELVASTON BORROWASH ROAD
2/29 (West Side)
10.11.67 Golden Gates and
Attached Walls at
Elvaston Castle
II
Gates, railings and attached walls. C18 gates re-erected at
Elvaston in mid C19 for the Earl of Harrington by his gardener
William Barron, with attached mid C19 walls. Painted iron gates
and railings with marble clad piers and ashlar walls. Large
pair of gates to centre with railings to either side ending in
large square piers, attached to the far side of which there are
curved walls. The gates have the rails grouped in bunches of
three and the central rail of each is topped by a large arrow
head finial. Each gate has two decorative scrolled wrought iron
panels. Similar smaller panels to open square posts to either
side, each of which is topped by a lantern, set on scrolled
feet. Above the gates, between the posts, there is an ornate
overthrow with a coronet finial and a central circle inscribed
'H H and Deo et Rege'. Railings on either side stand on a stone
plinth and have small gates to each side of the main gate posts.
To base the railings have a row of upright flame finials, near
the top they have a double row of upright and inverted flame
finials and above again each rail has an arrow head finial.
Large marble clad piers to either end are surmounted by large
stone statues and attached to far side of each there are curved
walls which have deep tapering plinths and ridgeback copings,
plus small piers at regular intervals with cruciform shaped
ridgeback coping stones. Erected during the creation of the
lavish gardens, designed by William Barron between 1830 and
1860, which are included in the Derbyshire Historic Gardens
Register at Grade II*. The gates reputedly belonged to Napoleon
and were originally sited in Paris.


Listing NGR: SK4071032582

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.