History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pump House

A Grade II Listed Building in Elvaston, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8929 / 52°53'34"N

Longitude: -1.3918 / 1°23'30"W

OS Eastings: 441015

OS Northings: 333003

OS Grid: SK410330

Mapcode National: GBR 7GP.NXS

Mapcode Global: WHDH1.LKG2

Entry Name: Pump House

Listing Date: 11 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096399

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83017

Location: Elvaston, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Elvaston

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Elvaston-cum-Thulston-cum-Ambaston St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Shardlow

Listing Text

SK 43 SW PARISH OF ELVASTON BORROWASH ROAD
2/31 (West Side)
Pump House
GV II
Pump house. Early C19, built for the Earl of Harrington and
probably designed by William Barron, with later alterations.
Red brick on stone plinth with stone dressings. Red tile roof
with strange parapets to side walls which curve in at eaves
level and curve out again to top, plus flush parapets to gable
walls with curved top rising to a central point. Both side and
gable wall parapets have been slightly lowered and capped with
engineering bricks. Single storey and single bay with
waterwheel to east side. South elevation has chamfered trefoil
headed doorcase with plank door and cinquefoil headed niche
over, with a large 'H' topped by a coronet, within. North and
west elevations have cinquefoil headed single light chamfered
windows. East side has a cast iron waterwheel with wooden
paddles and wooden rim. This is surrounded by a C20 brick wall
with iron railings to top. The original pump is still housed
inside the building. This was probably the first of a series of
similar buildings erected during the creation of the lavish
gardens designed by William Barron from 1830-1860, which are
included in the Derbyshire Historic Gardens Register at Grade
II*. In his diary William Barron records that work on the lake
and on the water supplies were among his first projects.


Listing NGR: SK4101533003

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.