History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Coton in the Elms, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7358 / 52°44'8"N

Longitude: -1.6406 / 1°38'26"W

OS Eastings: 424366

OS Northings: 315413

OS Grid: SK243154

Mapcode National: GBR 5FN.D2N

Mapcode Global: WHCGK.RHZH

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 12 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096452

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82942

Location: Coton in the Elms, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE12

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Coton in the Elms

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Coton-in-the-Elms St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Coton in the Elms

Listing Text


SK 21 NW PARISH OF COTN IN THE ELMS CHURCH STREET
2/10 (East Side)
Church of St Mary
II

Parish church. 1844-6 by Stevens of Derby in Dec style with
late C19 northern organ bay. Tooled ashlar with stone dressings
and chamfered plinth. Steeply pitched fishscale tile roof with
lapped stone copings to gables and chamfered eaves band. Three
stage west tower, nave and lower chancel plus north organ bay.
Tower has stepped angle buttresses up to the top of the second
stage to its western corners, chamfered bands between each stage
and a polygonal staircase turret in south-eastern corner against
the nave with a lapped stone roof. West elevation has a keel
moulded pointed door with attached shafts and double studded
wooden doors. Above there is a 2-light pointed window with
cusped Y-tracery. North and south elevations are blank. Above
there are 2-light pointed, louvred bell openings with cusped
Y-tracery to north, south and west sides, that to west with a
clock face to base. Embattled parapets and recessed thin spire
over with gableted lucarnes on four sides. North nave elevation
has four pointed 2-light cusped Y-tracery windows with almost
full height stepped buttresses to corners and between the
windows. C17 style north vestry to east has 2-light mullion
window to north and chamfered pointed doorcase to east with
hoodmould. East elevation of chancel has pointed 4-light window
with geometric cusped tracery flanked by stepped angle
buttresses. South elevation of chancel has a single moulded
lancet with cusped tracery to top and south elevation of nave
similar to north elevation. All original openings have
hoodmoulds with block-like stops. Interior has tall pointed
continuous moulded chancel and tower arches, that to tower
mostly blocked in. Chancel has moulded four-centred arch into
the northern organ bay and also a small pointed arch from the
organ bay into the nave giving access to the pulpit. Chancel
roof is a pointed barrel vault with painted decoration and nave
has arched braced trusses. Dec style oak rood screen with
central doors, chancel panelling, oak altar rails and simple oak
choir stalls are all of 1946, given by parishioners to celebrate
the centenary of the church, as recorded on a plaque to south of
the rood screen. Organ is late C19 and has quatrefoil
decorations. Nave has its original plain box-like pews and a
late C19 octagonal pulpit on octagonal stem with cusped panelled
sides and small colonnettes to each corner. West end of nave
has a screened-off C20 vestry to south side and stone font to
north side with octagonal stem and bowl, each side decorated
with cusped mouchettes. To south side of font there are pierced
wooden rails and to north side five pointed backed chairs, both
were probably part of the original chancel fittings. The
chancel has one white marble wall memorial of 1858 to Rev
Echalaz and the nave has two wall memorials, one c1918 to Arthur
Holmes and the other of c1916 to Norman Holtby. West end of
nave has brass plaque recording that the clock was given in
memory of William Heath who died 1924 and in the tower there is
a painted plaque recording that the chapel was erected 1845-6
and free sittings were provided by grant from the Incorporated
Society. East window has brightly coloured glass, probably
c1845, to top panels and nave has two early C20 stained glass
windows and one of c1871 in memory of Lady Horton of Catton.


Listing NGR: SK2436615413

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.