This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8063 / 52°48'22"N
Longitude: -1.5651 / 1°33'54"W
OS Eastings: 429412
OS Northings: 323277
OS Grid: SK294232
Mapcode National: GBR 5DZ.13M
Mapcode Global: WHCG6.XQWJ
Entry Name: Church of St Wystan
Listing Date: 6 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096486
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82815
Location: Bretby, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE15
District: South Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Bretby
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Bretby St Wystan
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF BRETBY THE GREEN
SK 22 SE
2/10 (North West Side)
Church of St Wystan
Parish church. Rebuilt in 1877. Irregular coursed sandstone
and timber framing to porch and bell tower. Plain tile roofs
with decorative ridge cresting. Coped gables with gableted
kneelers and cross finials. Chamfered plinth. Nave with bell
tower, south porch, chancel, north nave aisle north chapel and
north vestry. The south elevation has a gabled timber porch on
stone plinth, rebuilt in 1966. Plain pointed arched inner
doorway with single chamfer and hoodmould. Plank door with
wrought iron hinges. To the left a 2-light window with flat
arch and panel tracery, returned hoodmould and segmental
relieving arch. To the right of the porch a similar single
light window and a 2-light window. The south side of the
chancel has four steps with low side walls up to a four-centred
arched priests doorway with moulded surround under returned
rectangular hoodmould. Decorative cross in a recessed panel
above. To the right a round-arched single light window.
3-light east window with panel tracery. Pair of tiny
ventilation lancets above. The north side of the chancel has
one plain rectangular window. Gabled north vestry has a 2-light
trefoil headed window to east and a four-centred arched doorway
to the north. A chimney stack rises from the gable. Gabled
north chapel has a 3-light window with panel tracery. Lean-to
north aisle has two triplets of trefoil headed windows and a
2-light window to west with triangular head. The west elevation
of the nave has a 2-light window with reticulation unit, flanked
by heavy buttresses using masonry from the previous church.
Triplet of tiny lancets above. Rising from the nave roof is a
square bell tower with tapering sides and pyramid roof. The
lower part shingled, the upper part timber framed, with four
trefoil-headed louvred openings to each side. Interior: Three
bay north arcade with octagonal piers and moulded arches.
Moulded chancel arch, the inner order on corbels with ball
flower. The nave roof is a panelled pointed tunnel vault of
trefoil section, with castellated tie beams and wall plates.
Canted panelled chancel roof. Octagonal font with quatrefoils
in the panels. Tiled floors and sumptuous tiled sanctuary with
mosaic reredos which has as its centrepiece a C15 Flemish Style
painting, a copy of Rogier Van Der Weyden's Deposition set
against a naturalistic landscape background derived from other
sources. Perp Style parclose screens to the north chapel.
Pews, reading desk, pulpit, lectern, communion rails etc, all of
c1877. Stained glass: in the east window 1866 by A Gibbs.
Sanctuary north and south windows 1868 by Cox & Son. Nave south
windows, late C19 with pale colouring. On the chancel south
wall a brass to the Ninth Earl of Chesterfield 1866. Organ at
the west end by Nicholson & Lord of Walsall.
Listing NGR: SK2941223277
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings