History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Foston and Scropton, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8689 / 52°52'7"N

Longitude: -1.7149 / 1°42'53"W

OS Eastings: 419288

OS Northings: 330190

OS Grid: SK192301

Mapcode National: GBR 4BN.58F

Mapcode Global: WHCFY.M5L0

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 4 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096553

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82674

Location: Foston and Scropton, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE65

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Foston and Scropton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Scropton

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Sudbury

Listing Text

SK 13 SE PARISH OF FOSTON & SCROPTON SCROPTON LANE
2/20 (South Side)
Church of St Paul
GV II

Parish church. 1855-6 by Benjamin Ferrey. Rock faced sandstone
with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave with
south porch and chancel with lean-to north vestry. Dec Style.
The west tower has a west dooray with three lancets above, a
single lancet to south and 2-light bell openings. Tiled pyramid
roof. The north elevation of the nave has two single light
windows with a cusped trefoil over a cusped lancet, and two
2-light windows with trefoils. 2-light chancel north window of
cusped lancets with elongated quatrefoil over. East window of
three trefoiled lancets with trefoils and quatrefoils above.
The south side of the chancel has a 2-light and a 3-light window
with trefoils and quatrefoils. The south side of the nave has a
single light and two 2-light windows similar to those on the
north side. Impressive south porch with long steep roof. The
interior has ashlar walls and arched and scissor braced roofs,
with cusped braces in the nave. Moulded tower and chancel
arches. Font, mid C19 with circular bowl with tracery motifs on
a base of clustered shafts. Mid C19 pews and organ case.
Gothic Style stone and marble plinth. Classical Style altar and
reredos with painted panels of saints. Wrought iron and brass
communion rails. Oak choir stalls. In the south east corner of
the nave, incised slab to William Schower, died 1495. Tombchest
under the tower to Nicholas Agard and his two wives c1510. On
the front of the alabaster tombchest, angels holding shields
under ogee canopies and plain panels with shields. Wall tablet
c1704 with Tuscan columns and segmental pediment. Illegible
inscription. Painted decoration around the chancel arch, and on
either side metal panels painted with the commandments. Stained
glass, nave north, c1930 by Westlake. Chancel south east, c1929
by Kempe & Tower. East window. has non-pictorial glass, 1856 by
Powells.


Listing NGR: SK1928830190

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.