This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.647 / 50°38'49"N
Longitude: -3.6385 / 3°38'18"W
OS Eastings: 284250
OS Northings: 84313
OS Grid: SX842843
Mapcode National: GBR QP.RLWM
Mapcode Global: FRA 378C.G8W
Entry Name: Ashton Mill
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85548
Location: Ashton, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Ashton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ashton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ASHTON LOWER ASHTON
SX 88 SW
5/27 Ashton Mill
Mill, incorporating former cottage, now used as store. C18 or earlier with C19
alterations. Granite and freestone rubble and cob, weatherboarded in the gable ends;
corrugated iron roof, gabled at ends; projecting end stack with set-offs and
truncated brick shaft.
Plan: Rectangular on plan: the mill, to the west, with a disused C20 undershot
waterwheel (leat still intact); the former cottage to the east.
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. The west elevation preserves an iron undershot wheel
with timber arms and iron floats, wheel made by Steiner and Tunn Ltd, Tiverton.
Section of good dressed coursed granite masonry construction adjacent to and
downstream of the wheel; 2 ground floor 2-light windows, the left hand window with
C19 brick dressings and lapped glass. 4 small first floor 1-light windows with C19
brick dressings and lapped glass plus one small square window to the left; 1-light
window in gable. The left return has a doorway approximately in the centre, a 1-
light ground floor window and a 2-light first floor C19 timber casement with glazing
bars. The rear elevation preserves the stack of the former cottage, flanked by
doorways with a window and first floor doorway to the left and a first floor doorway
to the right.
The sluice gate is fixed to grooved granite posts.
Interior: Not inspected. The present owners have a complete list of owners and
occupiers of the mill from 1780 to the present day.
Forms a good group with the miller's cottage, visible from the Chudleigh Road across
Listing NGR: SX8425084313
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings