This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8411 / 50°50'27"N
Longitude: -3.0512 / 3°3'4"W
OS Eastings: 326077
OS Northings: 105142
OS Grid: ST260051
Mapcode National: GBR M3.W8SW
Mapcode Global: FRA 46HW.349
Entry Name: Land Farm House
Listing Date: 8 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098452
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88094
Location: Membury, East Devon, Devon, EX13
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Membury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Membury
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 20 NE MEMBURY WEBBLE GREEN LANE
8.5.67 Land Farm House
Farm house. Circa early C16, the lower end rebuilt in early C17, datestone on west
gable end '1629' and "H.M.overB". Stone rubble house. Thatched roof with gabled
ends. Left hand gabled wing to north east forming L-shaped plan. Two storeys.
Three window range. Three and four-light ovolo moulded stone mullion windows with
hood moulds. Doorway to left of centre with modern thatched porch. To left an
external stone chimney stack with set-offs and window inserted. Brick chimney stack
over west gable end. Wing to north east has eyebrow dormer. Oven projecting at
west end. Circa C18 wing at rear (south).
Interior: Plank and muntin screen to cross passage has been replaced by modern
copy. Open fireplace at lower (west) end with heavy timber bressummer continued
over arched doorway to side. Stone arched opening to oven inside fireplace.
Birthplace of Thomas Wakley 1795-1862, surgeon and medical reformer, founder of
'Lancet' and MP for Finsbury 1835-52. Report in NMR.
Listing NGR: ST2607705142
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings