History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Market House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ross-on-Wye, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9143 / 51°54'51"N

Longitude: -2.5841 / 2°35'2"W

OS Eastings: 359919

OS Northings: 224130

OS Grid: SO599241

Mapcode National: GBR FR.PHMQ

Mapcode Global: VH86J.547V

Entry Name: Market House

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098680

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153553

Location: Ross-on-Wye, County of Herefordshire, HR9

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Ross-on-Wye

Built-Up Area: Ross-on-Wye

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Ross

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Wilton

Listing Text


1.
1560 MARKET PLACE

SO 5924 1/57 Market House
22.10.52.
II*

2.
Late C17. Said to have been built by Frances-wife of the 2nd Duke of Somerset
1660-1674. Local red sandstone and ashlar with tiled roof. Ground floor
is open with an arcade of 6 bays on the North and South sides and 2 at each
end. Round arches with Doric columns, with Ā½columns as responds. At East
end 2 windows, each with 3 round headed lights and between them a round
recess with keyblocks and bust (? of Charles II). At Nest end, a similar
window and 4 rectangular sunk panels formerly finished with pediments and
scrolls now weathered away. Similar window in North and South walls. In
centre of North wall is a round-headed door opening onto a recessed balcony
with panelled and carved posts and turned balusters to the railings. On
South wall near the East end is a carved monogram with the initials F C
or T C. Small square boarded lantern clock tower on roof with modillioned
cornice and concave lead covered roof and small arched shuttered openings
on each side. In South West bay is a staircase in a panelled enclosure,
with straight strings, turned balusters, wide handrail and square newels.
Upstairs a range of 4 oak posts, carved as diminishing Ionic pilasters support
the roof. RCHM 2. Scheduled AM.


Listing NGR: SO5991924130

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.