This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9134 / 51°54'48"N
Longitude: -2.5821 / 2°34'55"W
OS Eastings: 360054
OS Northings: 224030
OS Grid: SO600240
Mapcode National: GBR FR.PQ3L
Mapcode Global: VH86J.658K
Entry Name: Walter Scott Charity School
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098685
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153572
Location: Ross-on-Wye, County of Herefordshire, HR9
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Ross-on-Wye
Built-Up Area: Ross-on-Wye
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Ross
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
1560 OLD GLOUCESTER ROAD
Walter Scott Charity
SO 6024 1/66 22.10.52.
Founded as a Bluecoat School for 30 boys and 30 girls in 1717. Disused through
lack of funds. Re-endowed by Walter Scott a citizen in 1786 and restored
in 1887. 2 storeys and cellar. Red brick. Centre breaks forward and has
a pediment. 2-3-2 sash windows, but central window has been replaced by
an inscription giving dates etc. On ground floor 6 sash windows in arched
sinkings with band below. These have round heads with architraves. A moulded
cornice connects the imposts of the arches. Stucco plinth. Wide doorway
with open pediment on Tuscan columns and pilasters. Wide fanlight. Slender
stone gate piers with ball terminals.
Listing NGR: SO6005424030
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings