This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1381 / 52°8'17"N
Longitude: -2.2392 / 2°14'21"W
OS Eastings: 383724
OS Northings: 248897
OS Grid: SO837488
Mapcode National: GBR 1GP.YH0
Mapcode Global: VH930.4JK8
Entry Name: Prior's Court
Listing Date: 11 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153405
Location: Powick, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR2
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Powick
Built-Up Area: Callow End
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Powick
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
POWICK CP -
SO 84 NW
6/87 Prior's Court
House. Late C16. Restored 1898-9. Timber-framing with some brick infill
and tile roof. Built around a small courtyard, approximately 4 by 5 metres.
Two storeys with attic. Entrance front, on north side, of three gabled bays
with irregular framing and iron casement windows. On the ground floor the
left-hand bay has two slightly curved tension braces. The trusses have
vertical struts between tie-beams and collars. The porch, in the middle
bay, is of a single storey and has gables facing in three directions.
It is supported on turned posts treated as crude Tuscan columns. The oak
doorway has two large panels with applied ovals and an iron Y-knocker.
Chimney to left of second gable has two diagonal shafts. East wall has
two gables. Under the left-hand gable is a moulded rail at first floor
level. Above it is a tripartite sash with glazing bars. Against the rear
(south) wall is a projecting stack with a plaque inscribed 'AG' and two
star-plan shafts. Interior: the doorway from the courtyard into the south
range opens into a cross-passage, partly open to the main living room to
the west. This is partly lined with re-set oak raised and fielded panelling
incorporating some C17 fragments. A wide oak C17 stair rises within this
room and has two flights at right-angles, a closed string, turned balusters,
newels with ball finials, and a moulded handrail. The parlour, to the east,
contains a wide fireplace with chamfered stone jambs and chamfered bressummer.
The ground floor rooms have chamfered ceiling beams which seem to be contemporary
with the walls. A bedroom on the north-west side of the house contains a fire-
place with a carved surround which incorporates some C17 work and a C16 linen-
Listing NGR: SO8372448897
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings