History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bransford, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1619 / 52°9'42"N

Longitude: -2.2981 / 2°17'53"W

OS Eastings: 379703

OS Northings: 251559

OS Grid: SO797515

Mapcode National: GBR 0F3.FSC

Mapcode Global: VH92S.3XXJ

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 29 July 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098793

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153317

Location: Bransford, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Bransford

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Leigh and Bransford

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Bransford

Listing Text

BRANSFORD CP -
SO 75 SE
2/4 Church of St John
the Baptist
29.7.59
- II*
Church. C13 with C14, C15, C17 and later alterations. Restored 1957.
Stone rubble with some brick, and tile roof. Comprises a nave and con-
tinuous chancel with west bell turret and south porch. The west wall
contains a chamfered one-light window with elliptical head. At the west
end a weatherboarded add louvred bell turret rises above the roof and has
a pyramidal roof. On the south side there is a C13 chamfered lancet to the
left of the porch. To the right is a window of a single trefoiled ogee light
under a flat head. Further right is a 3-light window with timber mullions,
rectangular lead glazing, and brick reveals. The right-hand (eastern) end
of the wall is of brick on a stone base. The doorway has an ogee-arched
head and is covered by a timber porch. The gable wall of the porch has
paired posts, the inner ones forming an arch with the tie-beam. The side
walls have timber mullions above a middle rail and have wall-plates which are
chamfered in two orders. The inner truss has arch-braces. The east wall of
the chancel is of brick and has a timber window of four lights with transom
with a segmental brick arch over its flat head. The north wall shows evidence
of rebuilding. To the right of a buttress is a window of two trefoiled lights
under a flat head. To its right is a chamfered doorway with Tudor-arched head.
Interior: Collar rafter-roof has curved braces to collar, two tie-beams; the
eastern one supports two vertical struts. The wall-plates are moulded. In
the south wall is a piscina in a flat-headed recess. A fragment of wall-painting
is exposed at the east end of the north wall. The tower is supported on four
timber posts with diagonal braces: much of the timber has been renewed. On the
east side a timber-framed wall divides the tower from the nave. It contains
two blocked wood-mullioned windows and a plank door with wooden handle.


Listing NGR: SO7970351559

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.