History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walls Enclosing Garden South of Severn End, and Pavilion at South West Corner

A Grade II Listed Building in Hanley Castle, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0814 / 52°4'53"N

Longitude: -2.2271 / 2°13'37"W

OS Eastings: 384531

OS Northings: 242587

OS Grid: SO845425

Mapcode National: GBR 1HH.FRH

Mapcode Global: VH936.BYY8

Entry Name: Walls Enclosing Garden South of Severn End, and Pavilion at South West Corner

Listing Date: 11 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098806

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153245

Location: Hanley Castle, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR8

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Hanley Castle

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Hanley Castle with Hanley Swan

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Hanley Castle

Listing Text

HANLEY CASTLE CP -
SO 84 SW
3/104 Walls enclosing garden
south of Severn End,
11.8.52
and pavilion at south-
west corner
GV II

Walls and pavilion. 1661-2, with pavilion restored in 1861. Brick with
some stone dressings. Garden walls incorporate a raised terrace on the
east side. The pavilion or study is of two storeys with a hipped tile roof.
It is open on the ground floor, with two moulded round stone arches on the
north side carried on a central round column. On the first floor is a 3-light
mullioned window. Interior: on the ground floor are two C17 oak doors and
surrounds. The southern one has carved pilasters. A first floor window has
painted glass giving the date of construction and restoration. The diaries
of Sir Nicholas Lechmere record the building of the pavilion in 1661. (VCH, p 92).


Listing NGR: SO8453142587

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.