History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of Four Tomb Chests Approximately Six Metres South of Chancel and 3 Metres East of South Chapel of Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Eldersfield, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9785 / 51°58'42"N

Longitude: -2.2925 / 2°17'32"W

OS Eastings: 380008

OS Northings: 231158

OS Grid: SO800311

Mapcode National: GBR 0H7.WS1

Mapcode Global: VH93R.6JXM

Entry Name: Group of Four Tomb Chests Approximately Six Metres South of Chancel and 3 Metres East of South Chapel of Church of St John

Listing Date: 23 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098825

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153189

Location: Eldersfield, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, GL19

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Eldersfield

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Eldersfield

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Staunton

Listing Text

ELDERSFIELD CP -
SO 83 SW
7/48 Group of four tomb chests
approximately six metres
south of chancel and three
metres east of south chapel
of Church of St John
GV II

Group of four tomb chests. Early C18. Sandstone. All have flat moulded tops
and scrolled ends.

South-western tomb has north side with central swag flanked by drops of
flowers. South side has crossed bones at left, and pick, shovel, and
skull at right. Inscriptions include: "Elizabeth ... 1726(?) ...".

North-western tomb is similar in design to the one to the south-west. Its
inscriptions were illegible at time of survey (April 1986).

North-eastern tomb has fluted scrolled ends with central oval panels. North
side inscribed: "Blessed are the dead ...". South side inscribed: "Job ...
1706 ...".

South-eastern tomb is similar in design to the north-eastern one and has
carved foliage decoration on the north and south sides. South side inscribed:
"Job son of Job Carter ... 1710(?)".

Listing NGR: SO8000831158

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.