History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Crown

A Grade II Listed Building in Bosbury, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0878 / 52°5'15"N

Longitude: -2.4472 / 2°26'50"W

OS Eastings: 369452

OS Northings: 243363

OS Grid: SO694433

Mapcode National: GBR FY.BMKS

Mapcode Global: VH85M.JSLC

Entry Name: The Old Crown

Listing Date: 18 November 1952

Last Amended: 26 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098894

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153046

Location: Bosbury, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Bosbury

Built-Up Area: Bosbury

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Bosbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bosbury

Listing Text

BOSBURY CP MAIN STREET (south side)
SO 64 SE

6/81 The Old Crown

18.11.52 (Formerly listed as The
Crown Inn)
GV II


Former public house, now house. Late C16 core largely rebuilt C18 and
substantially extended late C19 and early C20. Coursed and squared sand-
stone rubble to earlier north-west block, remaining later additions of
brick, tiled roofs. Earlier block aligned north-west/south-east with
north-west gable end to road, later additions extend from north-east side
to east and north-west, lateral stack to original block, entrance now
obscured by later additions and present entrance to north-east side. Two
storeys and cellars. North-west gable end of earlier block to road, one
4-light wooden cross mullioned and transomed window to first floor with
6-light stone mullioned and transomed window to ground floor, gable end
of forward projecting later addition to left with sash windows and further
similar windows to lateral of later addition facing road. Interior of main
room of earlier block retains fine panelling, with upper frieze and enriched
cornice; over-mantel with enriched arcaded panels and formerly with four
shields of arms, now only two remaining, fine cross-beamed ceiling retaining
three bosses at intersections bearing arms of William Paulet KG first Marquis
of Winchester, John Skippe, Bishop of Hereford 1539-52 and the quartered coat
of Scrope. The house was originally built by Richard Harford whose initials
are inscribed in a cartouche on the over-mantel who was steward of the manor,
his tomb is in the south side of the chancel of the Church of Holy Trinity (qv).


Listing NGR: SO6944943359

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.