History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatehouse to Old Court Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bosbury, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.089 / 52°5'20"N

Longitude: -2.4454 / 2°26'43"W

OS Eastings: 369577

OS Northings: 243502

OS Grid: SO695435

Mapcode National: GBR FY.BG0W

Mapcode Global: VH85M.KRKF

Entry Name: Gatehouse to Old Court Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098920

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153010

Location: Bosbury, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Bosbury

Built-Up Area: Bosbury

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Bosbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bosbury

Listing Text

BOSBURY CP -
SO 64 SE

6/45 Gatehouse to Old Court
Farmhouse

GV II


Former gatehouse to the Old Court, now hop store. Possibly C14, greatly
altered. Sandstone rubble, tiled roof, brick C19 alterations to rear.
Gatehouse aligned north/south with central gateway, adjoining hop kilns
to north (not of special architectural interest) and former Grammar School
(qv) to south. Gateway now of two storeys, central pointed archway of two
chamfered orders (head of arch now blocked) with minor pointed arch headed
doorway of one chamfered order to left flanked by buttressing, wall extends
to south (left) with two openings to upper floor and one to lower. The room
to the left of the entrance is known locally as the jail. (RCHM Vol II, p 20,
item 4; Watkins, J: Duncomb's Collections towards the History and Antiquities
of the County of Hereford, Hundred of Radlow, 1902, p 27; Rev S Bentley, History
of the Parish of Bosbury, 1891).


Listing NGR: SO6957743508

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.