History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Phillips House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Much Marcle, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9921 / 51°59'31"N

Longitude: -2.4988 / 2°29'55"W

OS Eastings: 365846

OS Northings: 232750

OS Grid: SO658327

Mapcode National: GBR FW.JLSL

Mapcode Global: VH865.M6V5

Entry Name: Phillips House

Listing Date: 18 November 1952

Last Amended: 4 December 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099029

English Heritage Legacy ID: 152775

Location: Much Marcle, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Much Marcle

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Much Marcle with Yatton

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Much Marcle

Listing Text

MUCH MARCLE CP MUCH MARCLE
SO 63 SE

8/110 Phillips House (previously
listed as Vicarage)
18.11.52

GV II*

House. "DP 1703" on central first-floor keystone of garden front. Brick,
stone dressings, hipped slate roof and large end stacks. Rectangular five
by three bay plan aligned north/south. Two storeys with basement and attic.
West elevation (entrance front): centre bay slightly advanced, basement in
stone with chamfered 2-light mullioned windows; piano nobile has cross-
casements, as does the first floor except over the entry where there is a
central 24-pane glazing bar sash; three symmetrically placed dormers with
segmental heads; stone keystones, quoins and string course between two
principal floors; central entrance up a short flight of steps has moulded
architrave, scrolled open pediment and 4-panelled late C19 door beneath
transom light; deep wooden moulded eaves with dentilled cornice; brick stacks
to either end, each have four recessed panels. Two-storey wing to south has
leaded wrought iron C18 casement to left and above it a 24-pane early C18
glazing bar sash. Garden front is generally similar but with glazing bar
sashes, an early C19 canted bay window covering the two bays to the right of
the central entrance which has an open pediment without scrolls, a moulded
brick string course and keystones; attached to each side is a one-bay two-
storey wing, probably late C18 to early C19, the north rather taller than
the south. Interior is said to contain features, notably staircase and
panelling, noted in RCHM Vol II, p 132.


Listing NGR: SO6584632766

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.