History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Ripple, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0383 / 52°2'17"N

Longitude: -2.1815 / 2°10'53"W

OS Eastings: 387647

OS Northings: 237785

OS Grid: SO876377

Mapcode National: GBR 1J4.19R

Mapcode Global: VH93M.41L7

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 11 August 1952

Last Amended: 14 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099083

English Heritage Legacy ID: 152590

Location: Ripple, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, GL20

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Ripple

Built-Up Area: Uckinghall

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Ripple

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Ripple

Listing Text

SO 8737 RIPPLE RIPPLE

5/39
The Old Rectory
(formerly listed as
11.8.52 The Rectory)

- II

Former rectory 1726 built for Rev John Holte, rector 1727-34. Formal square
plan house, red brick, 2 storey and attic with hipped double-valley roof.
3 dormers to West and East sides, 1 to South. Moulded wood eaves and stone
chamfered quoins. 5 window range to West, entrance, front. Exposed box glazing
bar sashes with stone sills and panelled keystones with small cornice strips.
Gauged brick window heads. Central stone doorcase, moulded shouldered surround
with frieze and pediment. 6 panel door with rectangular fanlight over. South
front 5 windows to ground floor, 3 lengthened in early C19, 6 windows to 1st
floor. East side, 5 window range. 4 of windows with original thick glazing
bars. Projecting at right angles is brick and stone screen wall, one window
range, 2 storey, arched window heads with stone keystones and dummy glazing
bars painted in heads. Rear gabled stone North wing, much rebuilt, reputedly
C15 in origin with fireplace in cellar (V.C.H).
Interior: part early C19, original square framed newel stair altered only in
bottom flight. Early C18 cornice and panelling to SW corner room.


Listing NGR: SO8764437784

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.