This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7506 / 51°45'2"N
Longitude: -1.258 / 1°15'28"W
OS Eastings: 451318
OS Northings: 206023
OS Grid: SP513060
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.6S5
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.48SC
Entry Name: 13 and 14, Pembroke Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099196
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245735
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Aldate
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Nos 13 & 14
SP 5106 SW 8/568 12.1.54.
House. 1 building. RCHM 139. Built by Richard Hannes in 1641. Altered
in C18-19 and exterior and interior restored in 1948. 4-storeyed front with
cellars, the ground and 1st floors being of stone and the upper floors of
timber-framing. The north elevation has 2-storeyed 3-sided bays above which
is the overhang of 2nd and 3rd floors which have modern sash windows, moulded
wood cornice and small parapet. The ground floor bays have sashes and those
in 1st floor have 3-light mullioned frames with returns. Between the bays
is a pedimented doorway with a pulvinated frieze; above this is an oval moulded
stone lunette. No 14 has an early C19 reeded doorframe. The south elevation
has a staircase projection flanked by a gable on each side with an overhang
at 2nd floor and it rests on arches and an ornamental fascia. The gables
have moulded bargeboards and in the west side of the projection is an original
2-light stone ovolo-moulded window frame with a dentilled cornice above it.
In each side of the projection are 2-storeyed 3-sided bays with moulded cornices
and pendants above; in some the mullions remain but other lights have been
replaced by sashes. On the east side of the projection is an original doorway
with a later pedimented entablature; near this is a C18 lead rainwater cistern.
Interior: RCHM p 173 b. Includes C17 staircase, fireplaces and a good internal
porch to a 2nd floor room and some C18 panelling.
Nos 11 to 28 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5131806023
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings