History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Phocle Farmhouse and Attached Granary Range

A Grade II Listed Building in Upton Bishop, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9352 / 51°56'6"N

Longitude: -2.5486 / 2°32'54"W

OS Eastings: 362381

OS Northings: 226443

OS Grid: SO623264

Mapcode National: GBR FT.N6FH

Mapcode Global: VH86B.SM1B

Entry Name: Phocle Farmhouse and Attached Granary Range

Listing Date: 21 December 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099215

English Heritage Legacy ID: 154360

Location: Upton Bishop, County of Herefordshire, HR9

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Upton Bishop

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Upton Bishop

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Weston under Penyard

Listing Text

UPTON BISHOP CP PHOCLE GREEN
SO 52 NW
SP 1056 Phocle Farmhouse and
0/1056 attached granary range
GV II

Farmhouse and granary range. Mid/late C18 with early C19 additions. Coursed
rubble stone and red brick with C20 tile roof to house and plain-tile roof to
granary. Brick ridge, right end and front lateral stacks. 3-unit through-
passage plan extended. 2 storeys and cellar. 5-window range of 2-light wooden
cross windows under stone segmental arches with contrasting keystones. 2
windows to right are set lower. To centre right a flight of steps with railing
leads to part-glazed door within gable porch. C20 windows to right and far
right, the latter in original opening. Below is an external doorway to the
cellar. To centre left a C20 3-light window also in original opening. To left
of this a single-storey projecting extension with gable facing, probably of
early C19. This is of red brick with stone plinth and has a canted bay window
with unhorned sashes with glazing bars. To far left also projecting single-
storey service rooms and projecting yet further forward the 2-storey granary
with boarded windows to side and front, and doorways to front and far side, that
to first floor with stone steps up. To rear of house are 5-panel part-glazed
door and 2- and 3-light casements, with similar casements to left end. Right
end is blank.
Interior: Stone cellar with flagged floor and chamfered beams. Ground floor
has mainly boxed beams though one shows chamfer. Late C18 fitted corner
cupboard in old kitchen. Old elm boards and plank doors with HL hinges. Stick-
baluster staircase. Probably early C19 7-bay roof with king-post trusses and
pegged trenched purlins. Granary also has king-post roof and grain bin.


Listing NGR: SO6238326446

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.