This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8726 / 51°52'21"N
Longitude: -2.6356 / 2°38'8"W
OS Eastings: 356335
OS Northings: 219528
OS Grid: SO563195
Mapcode National: GBR FP.S8VD
Mapcode Global: VH86P.86H9
Entry Name: New House
Listing Date: 18 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153804
Location: Goodrich, County of Herefordshire, HR9
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Goodrich
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Goodrich and Welsh Bicknor
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 51 NE GOODRICH CP -
6/12 New House
Former vicarage, now farmhouse. Dated 1636. Sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings, slate roof, timber-framed internal walls. Unusual Y-shaped plan
of 3 radiating wings to north, south-east and south-west, each with external
lateral stack, main entrance in north-east face of south-east wing. Three
storey canted bay to gable end of south-west wing later extension with further
C20 lean-to to west return of north wing. Three storeys and basement; chamfered
plinth and two moulded string courses, raised verges and shaped corbels, stone
mullioned windows with hoodmoulds and metal casements throughout.
North-east entrance elevation: 2-storey gabled porch (restored C20) abuts to
left of stack, 3-light window with leaded casements below gable, porch supported
on two Doric columns, date inscribed on capital of right column, 4-centred
arched doorway set in square-headed opening with chamfered jambs, heavy ledged
door, one 3-light window and one 4-light window below to east return face of
north wing. Interior: greatly altered; 3 stone fireplaces with chamfered
jambs and 4-centred arched heads to ground floor and one on first floor of
south-east wing. Ovolo stop-chamfered ceiling beams and partly-exposed internal
timber-framing. The panelled staircase mentioned by the RCHM is no longer extant.
Probably built for the Rev Thomas Swift, a staunch Royalist, who was rector of
the Parish at that time, father of the author Jonathan Swift. The Y-plan is
an interesting conceit, possibly alluding to the Trinity. (RCHM, Vol I, p 80/1).
Listing NGR: SO5633519528
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings