This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0328 / 52°1'57"N
Longitude: -2.9883 / 2°59'17"W
OS Eastings: 332296
OS Northings: 237611
OS Grid: SO322376
Mapcode National: GBR F6.G5CH
Mapcode Global: VH788.551J
Entry Name: Urishay Chapel
Listing Date: 17 January 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099487
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153774
Location: Peterchurch, County of Herefordshire, HR2
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Peterchurch
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Peterchurch
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 33 NW PETERCHURCH CP
9/152 Urishay Chapel
Former private chapel. Early C12, extended late C12, with C16 and C17
alterations, restorations: 1911 and 1982/84. Rubble, stone slate roof.
Early C12 nave, chancel added late C12 replacing apse, nave ruinous, 1980's
rendered concrete block wall about one metre west of chancel arch. Chancel:
north wall: priest's door with semi-circular head, late C20 ledged door;
east end: probably early C16 window with 4-centred head; south wall: to east
a small window with semi-circular head, to west square-headed window, probably
C17. Nave: north wall: a narrow square-headed light, former semi-circular
head, at east of wall; south wall: probably C16 window with pointed head to
east end, south door at west end with semi-circular head; west wall: 2 single
light square-headed windows at different heights, probably C17, the north
window incorporating a reset lintel from a window of 2 square-headed lights.
Interior: chancel: remains in east wall of outer jambs of late C12 east window;
chancel arch a simple timber lintel, roof late C20. Fittings: nave retains
C19 font base; north door: decorative strap hinges and latch, C17. Medieval
altar slab with 5 consecration crosses. The chapel belonged to Urishay Castle,
which lies immediately to the south. In care of Friends of Friendless Churches.
Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. (RCHM 1, pp 211/212, no 2; Reid 1980, p 62.
Information from R Shoesmith).
Listing NGR: SO3229637611
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings