This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9712 / 51°58'16"N
Longitude: -2.8353 / 2°50'7"W
OS Eastings: 342714
OS Northings: 230634
OS Grid: SO427306
Mapcode National: GBR FF.KTKY
Mapcode Global: VH78J.SQY7
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Thomas
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099588
English Heritage Legacy ID: 155591
Location: Wormbridge, County of Herefordshire, HR2
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Wormbridge
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Wormbridge
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
WORMBRIDGE CP -
SO 43 SW
2/56 Church of St Peter
and St Thomas
Parish church. C12 origins and C13 lower stage to west tower, entire
church extensively restored and refaced 1851-9. Dressed and squared
sandstone rubble refacing to earlier rubble structure, ashlar dressings,
C20 concrete tiled roof with Welsh slate to spire. West tower, nave
with north porch and chancel. West tower: three stages with broach spire,
single C13 lancets to each side of lower stage, large C19 trefoil headed
lights to bell stage with hoodmoulds. Buttressed nave has three C19 lancets
to left and one to right of C19 timber-framed north porch, north door of
c1200, semi-circular headed of two orders, inner chamfered and outer plain.
The south wall has four similar C19 lancet windows. The chancel is also
buttressed and has one C19 window of two trefoil headed lights with a two-
centred arched head to both the north and south walls. The east window has
three stepped lights. Interior: C13 tower arch with two-centred head of two
chamfered orders and moulded label. The pulpit incorporates pieces of C18
woodwork given to the church in 1870 from Newnham Paddox in Leicestershire;
panels with caryatids in strapwork fetters and one panel with figures of
Virgin with Child and St John. Also some fragments of C18 dado panelling
in nave. Chancel contains monuments to Clive family of Courtfield; Lady
Catherine Clive, died 1882, and Charles Clive, 1883. (RCHM, Vol I, p 254-5;
BoE, p 325).
Listing NGR: SO4271430634
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings