History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John of Jerusalem

A Grade II Listed Building in Bolstone, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9915 / 51°59'29"N

Longitude: -2.6542 / 2°39'15"W

OS Eastings: 355172

OS Northings: 232760

OS Grid: SO551327

Mapcode National: GBR FN.JQ78

Mapcode Global: VH862.Y65N

Entry Name: Church of St John of Jerusalem

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Last Amended: 21 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155601

Location: Bolstone, County of Herefordshire, HR2

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Bolstone

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Dewchurch with Ballingham

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Little Dewchurch

Listing Text

BOLSTONE CP -
SO 53 SE
6/4 Church of St John of
Jerusalem (previously
listed as Parish Church
26.1.67 of St Dubricius)
GV II
Parish church. C12, C13 and C14, largely rebuilt and restored in 1877 by
W E Martin. Sandstone rubble with sandstone and limestone dressings. Welsh
slate roofs. Rectangular four to five bay plan with nave and chancel
structurally undivided. South porch. West elevation has battered ashlar
zone beneath and between verges in the centre of which is advanced support
to bell-cot: The centre part has dressed quoins and a C13 trefoiled lancet
above which it breaks through apex of gable to cornice and gabled bell-cot
with two chamfered, two-centred openings, each containing a bell: North
elevation has three restored trefoil headed lancets and three buttresses
with off-sets: Between the right-hand window and right buttress is a
blocked and restored C12 round-headed doorway with moulded imposts and a
label stopped by a monster's head to each side. The centre of the label
has a grotesque head: Restored jambs have chamfer stops and a re-consecration
cross to left side: East elevation has three round headed windows, the central
one set high in the wall: Verge and gable cross. South elevation has a restored
ogee headed window to right-hand side containing two cinquefoil headed lights
and quatrefoil tracery. Two trefoiled lancets to centre. One small chamfered
lancet to left-hand sided South porch is probably 1877 and has pine panels
with one trefoil headed opening to each side of entry and three So each return:
Limestone plinth and gabled roof with scissor struts: C19 south doorway has
contemporary ledged oak door in square headed opening: Interior has continuous
C19 pine wagon roof with scissor struts: East windows are set in deep splays
and have stained glass: The central light has an archangel with the inscription
"Holy Holy Holy". Left light has the Baptism of Christ and the right, a detail
of The Last Supper: In the 2-light window of the south wall are scenes from The
Resurrection. Opposite in the easternmost window of the north wall is The
Nativity with the inscription "THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH". C19 limestone pulpit
is ,part-octagonal with two trefoil-headed panels, two large pyramidical stops
to base and a central cross: C19 wrought iron lectern with scrolled brackets,
tripod and oak bookrest. Harmonium is late C19, of oak and mahogany. The deep
top is brattished and the two brass sconces have double hinges. The Canadian
maker was the Bell Organ and Piano Co Ltd and the instrument has the company's
usual mouse-proof pedal: Font, probably early C17, has octagonal base, stem and
bow, all moulded: Stem has a recessed lancet to each face. Bowl has two incised
trefoil-headed designs to each face, three of which, to the east, contain carvings
of a flower, fleur-de-lys and thistle: North wall has wall monument to Herbert
and Henry Fox, the men of the parish who died in The War 1914-18, inscribed:
REMEMBER THEM, O LORD
FOR GOOD
on the same wall is monument for Richard Garrold, died 1807, with a draped white.
urn set within a black obelisk: Further east, a similar monument to his namesake,
died 1846: Near the pulpit is a wall monument to Thomas Garrold, died 1859 by
Jennings of Hereford with draped white pediment and acroteria, supported on
tapered pilasters on a slate or block marble background. Several other wall
monuments dating from mid-C19 to early C20 for members of the Fisher, Preece,
Smyth and Tickle families. (BoE, p 78; RCHM Vol I, p 24-5).


Listing NGR: SO5517232760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.