History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walls Enclosing Garden South of Weston Hall, with Two Pairs of Gate Piers and Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Weston under Penyard, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9096 / 51°54'34"N

Longitude: -2.5443 / 2°32'39"W

OS Eastings: 362653

OS Northings: 223596

OS Grid: SO626235

Mapcode National: GBR FT.PTRR

Mapcode Global: VH86J.V89D

Entry Name: Walls Enclosing Garden South of Weston Hall, with Two Pairs of Gate Piers and Gates

Listing Date: 18 May 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155517

Location: Weston under Penyard, County of Herefordshire, HR9

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Weston under Penyard

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Weston under Penyard

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Weston under Penyard

Listing Text

WESTON UNDER PENYARD CP A 40
SO 62 SW
Walls enclosing garden
5/101 south of Weston Hall,
with two pairs of gate
18.5.53 piers and gates

GV II

Garden walls and gateways. Circa 1700. Brick with sandstone copings.
Inner wall encloses angle between two wings of Weston Hall (qv). On the north
side are two brick gate piers with stone cornices and ball finials. Above the
wrought iron gate is an overthrow with the arms and crest of the Nourse family.
The wall flanking the drive continues to the roadside, turns at right angles
to divide the garden from the road, and returns on the east side to enclose the
outer garden. It contains, on the roadside, a pair of rebuilt gate piers with
sandstone ball finials and wrought iron gates. Adjoining to the north-west
are the gates, two pairs of piers, and connecting walls at the entrance to the
drive (qv). (RCHM, p 212, plate 37).


Listing NGR: SO6265923611

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.