History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bill Mills

A Grade II Listed Building in Weston under Penyard, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.892 / 51°53'31"N

Longitude: -2.5458 / 2°32'44"W

OS Eastings: 362537

OS Northings: 221635

OS Grid: SO625216

Mapcode National: GBR FT.QTCH

Mapcode Global: VH86J.TPHY

Entry Name: Bill Mills

Listing Date: 22 July 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099637

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155503

Location: Weston under Penyard, County of Herefordshire, HR9

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Weston under Penyard

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Weston under Penyard

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Weston under Penyard

Listing Text

WESTON UNDER PENYARD CP -

SO 62 SW

5/87 Bill Mills

22.7.77

- II

Flour mill and paper mill, now soft drinks factory. Mid-C18, early C19
and late C19, on site dating from at least 1572. Sandstone rubble and
timber-framing with slate roofs. Buildings grouped on north and west sides
of mill pond. At the west end of the north range is the gable end of a
timber-framed building with painted brick infill. It has joweled principal
posts, a boarded gable, a straight tension brace, and is divided into square
panels by timbers of light scantling. On the first floor are two windows.
Set back to the right is a stone building, probably early C19: At the left
it has a ground floor window with glazing bars and a first floor doorway.
The two right-hand bays are angled back under a hipped roof. On the ground
floor are a window and a door, both with arched heads: To the right, adjoining
the road, is a late C19 warehouse converted into a house in the 1920s and now
partly used as offices. The wall facing the road retains metal glazing bar
windows with arched heads on the ground floor. The range on the west side
of the pond has, at its northern end, a tall gabled building with two metal
glazing bar windows with arched heads on each floor. To the right of the
ground floor windows is a doorway with external sliding door. Between the
first floor windows is an oculus with clock. Above it is a plaque dated
1891. Against the north wall is a tall brick chimney stack. Adjoining to
the left (south) is a lower building under a hipped slate roof, probably
early C19. It has a casement window on the first floor and a low window
above it under the eaves. To the left is a door with plain reveals. The
southern building, probably early C19, has three arched windows on its
first floor, which is at the same level as the ground floor of the other
buildings. These windows are similar to those of the 1891 building: At the
left is a loading doorway enlarged in the C20: The lower storey has a window
and a doorway. Interior: stone cellar of timber-framed building said to
contain Tangye stationary steam engine. Early C19 building retains mill wheel.


Listing NGR: SO6253721635

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.