History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bollitree Castle Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weston under Penyard, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9136 / 51°54'48"N

Longitude: -2.5299 / 2°31'47"W

OS Eastings: 363644

OS Northings: 224023

OS Grid: SO636240

Mapcode National: GBR FT.PR1B

Mapcode Global: VH86K.35CD

Entry Name: Bollitree Castle Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099638

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155504

Location: Weston under Penyard, County of Herefordshire, HR9

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Weston under Penyard

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Weston under Penyard

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Weston under Penyard

Listing Text

WESTON UNDER PENYARD CP -
SO 62 SW

5/88
Bollitree Castle Farmhouse
18.5.53

GV II

House. Circa 1700 with earlier remains, re-modelled at rear mid-C18.
Sandstone with tile roofs. Front block, of c1700, faces west and has
symmetrical ashlar facade. Two storeys with attic, five bays. Windows
sashed with glazing bars. Above the modillion cornice are three gabled
attic dormers. The doorcase is mid-C20, with pilasters and a shallow
segmental pediment, but may be a copy of the original. Hipped roof with
end chimneys. At the rear a wing links the front block with a parallel
range. Their south and east facades were re-modelled in a Gothick style
in the mid-C18. On the south side the linking wing is of one bay and has
windows of two ogee lights with a door to the right. The end wall of the
rear range is of two bays and has windows of two ogee lights on the ground
floor and sashed windows with glazing bars above. The east wall of the rear
range is of three bays and has an embattled parapet. The windows to the outer
bays are of two ogee lights, to the middle bay of one. The north wall of this
range has octagonal corner turrets with loupholes, linked by an embattled
parapet. On the ground floor, below a moulded string, it has a small pointed
window with chamfered surround. Above, below another string, is a tall window
with chamfered surround and segmental head, with leaded glazing and with a
central timber mullion which branches to form Y-tracery. Interior: the two
front rooms on both floors of the front block are lined with raised and
fielded panelling. The dog-leg stair has an open string with three turned
balusters to each tread and a ramped handrail. In the parallel range to
the rear, one room is lined with oak bolection moulded panelling. Parts of
a timber-frame are exposed, suggesting that an earlier building was clad in
stone in the C18.


Listing NGR: SO6364424023

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.