History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weston Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weston under Penyard, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9104 / 51°54'37"N

Longitude: -2.5445 / 2°32'40"W

OS Eastings: 362643

OS Northings: 223679

OS Grid: SO626236

Mapcode National: GBR FT.PTQ6

Mapcode Global: VH86J.V76T

Entry Name: Weston Hall

Listing Date: 18 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099643

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155514

Location: Weston under Penyard, County of Herefordshire, HR9

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Weston under Penyard

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Weston under Penyard

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Weston under Penyard

Listing Text

WESTON UNDER PENYARD CP A 40
SO 62 SW

5/98 Weston Hall

18.5.53

GV II*

House. Circa 1600 with earlier remains. Squared sandstone rubble with
tile roof. L-plan. Two storeys with attic. Main facade faces north-west
and has two bays to each side of gabled porch. Two string courses. Windows,
arranged symmetrically, are mullioned with rebate and ovolo moulding. Outer
bays have two-storey canted bay windows, each with four lights at the front.
Above, under gables, are 3-light attic windows. To each side of the porch
there is a 2-light window on both floors. The first floor window of the
porch is of three lights, the attic window of two. Above the round-headed
doorway is a cartouche of arms and crest of Nourse. The gables are coped
with ball finials. Chimneys to right of left-hand bay and projecting from
right-hand return wall. The left-hand return wall has two strings, mullioned
windows, and two gables with attic windows. Interior: not accessible at
time of survey, but when recorded by RCHM had moulded ceiling beams, fire-
places with moulded surrounds, and panelling. The south end of the south
wing, at the right of the main facade, was said to contain the remains of
a timber-framed building and to have a roof partly of C15 date. Formerly
known as Lower Weston. (RCHM, p 211).


Listing NGR: SO6264323679

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.