This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8932 / 51°53'35"N
Longitude: -2.4989 / 2°29'56"W
OS Eastings: 365762
OS Northings: 221743
OS Grid: SO657217
Mapcode National: GBR FW.QSWV
Mapcode Global: VH86K.MPS1
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 17 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 155428
Location: Lea, County of Herefordshire, HR9
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Lea
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: The Lea
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
LEA CP A 40
SO 62 SE
6/17 Church of St John
Church. Late C13, C14 and early C15. Extensively restored 1854. Sandstone
rubble with tile roofs. Comprises a west tower with spire, nave, lower chancel,
north aisle under a pitched roof, north chapel, and north porch. The lower
stage of the tower is C13 and has a window of one trefoiled light to each side.
The upper stage is C14 and has ogee bell openings of one light and is broached
to a stone spire. The south wall of the nave is of three bays separated by
buttresses. The outer windows have flat heads and trefoiled lights. The
middle one is late C13, of two lights with cusped Y-tracery. In the south
wall of the chancel are two trefoiled one-light windows and a priest's door
with Tudor arch. The west window of the north aisle is of two trefoiled lights
with pierced spandrel. In the north wall is a window of three trefoiled lights
with flat head and hood. The porch is gabled and has an outer doorway with
pointed arch chamfered in two orders. In the north wall of the chapel is a
blocked doorway with Tudor arch. The chapel east window is of three trefoiled
lights with Tudor-arched head. The east chancel window is of three cinque-
foiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: three-
bay arcade of chamfered Tudor arches springing from octagonal piers. Moulded
capitals carved with grotesque animals, faces, and heads. Nave roof trusses
have straight braces to collars and cusped V-struts. The pointed tower arch
is plastered. The chancel arch is moulded and has semi-octagonal responds.
The south window of the chancel has two C19 trefoiled inner arches with
alabaster shafts and foliated capitals. The cinquefoiled piscina is also C19.
The chancel has a boarded barrel roof. The Tudor arch between the north aisle
and north chapel contains organ pipes and a re-set C15 screen with carved tracery
decoration. The font, of C1200, is south Italian and was given to the church in
1907. The shaft is knotted in the middle and stands on an elephant. The
capital is carved with four rams' heads. The bowl has a band of Cosmati work
and is carved with scrolls and figures. (RCHM, p 99).
Listing NGR: SO6576321744
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings