History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of Six Tomb Chests Immediately South of Chancel of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Linton, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9254 / 51°55'31"N

Longitude: -2.4953 / 2°29'43"W

OS Eastings: 366034

OS Northings: 225330

OS Grid: SO660253

Mapcode National: GBR FW.NTXY

Mapcode Global: VH86C.PVPT

Entry Name: Group of Six Tomb Chests Immediately South of Chancel of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 17 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099657

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155443

Location: Linton, County of Herefordshire, HR9

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Linton (Penyard Ward)

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Linton

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Linton

Listing Text

LINTON CP -
SO 62 NE

3/32 Group of six tomb chests
immediately south of
chancel of Church of
St Mary

GV II

Group of six tomb chests dating from the mid-C18 to early C19. Sandstone.
North-western tomb of group has flat moulded top and scrolled ends. On one
side is carved decoration which includes flaming lamps and cartouche with
illegible inscription. To its east is a tomb with square baluster ends
which includes the inscription: "George Bonnor of Ecceswall ..... died .....
1779". Of the two middle tombs of the group, the eastern one has square
baluster corners and is decorated with swags and scrolls. Carved on one
end are three angels and a crown. Inscriptions include: "George Bonnor late
of Eccleswall ..... died ..... 1748". To the west is a tomb which includes
the inscription: "George Bonnor of Woodend ..... died ..... 1803". The two
southern tombs have square baluster corners. The western one includes the
inscription "James Bonnor ..... 1814". The eastern one is illegible.


Listing NGR: SO6603425329

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.