History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Scattered Group of Nine Monuments (Some Overgrown or with Illegible Inscriptions) to North and West of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Madley, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0441 / 52°2'38"N

Longitude: -2.8473 / 2°50'50"W

OS Eastings: 341985

OS Northings: 238748

OS Grid: SO419387

Mapcode National: GBR FD.FBD0

Mapcode Global: VH784.LWMC

Entry Name: Scattered Group of Nine Monuments (Some Overgrown or with Illegible Inscriptions) to North and West of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Listing Date: 21 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099812

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155099

Location: Madley, County of Herefordshire, HR2

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Madley

Built-Up Area: Madley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Madley with Tyberton

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Madley

Listing Text

SO 43 NW MADLEY CP -

4/46 Scattered group of
nine monuments (some
overgrown or with
illegible inscriptions)
to north and west of the
Church of the Nativity of
the Blessed Virgin Mary

GV II

Seven chest tombs and two pedestal tombs:

Chest tomb for Mary Wheeler, died 1831 (about 18 yards north of the north
porch). Sandstone ashlar. Hipped capping with panels inclined inwards
towards base, trapezium-shaped side panels with incised margins to
inscription.

Chest tomb for William Williams, died 1837 (about two yards north-east of
north-east corner of north porch). Sandstone ashlar. Deep plinth, moulded
hipped capping, corner balusters and inscription panels with quadrant corners
to margins.

Overgrown pedestal tomb (about five yards north of Williams monument).

Chest tomb with illegible inscription and twin side panels (about 10 yards
west of above).

Two overgrown chest tombs (one about four yards north-west, the other five
yards west-south-west of above).

Overgrown chest tomb (about 12 yards east of Wheeler monument). Small corner
balusters.

Pedestal tomb with inscription panels removed, c1840. Sandstone ashlar,
fluted corner columns, acanthus frieze, quadrant corners to margins of side
panels, low hipped moulded capping with ball finial (about 10 yards west of
west door).

Overgrown chest tomb for William Symonds, died 1829 (about five yards north-west
of above), fluted panels flank side inscription panels which have margins with
quadrant corners.

The group as a whole occupies a prominent position in the churchyard.


Listing NGR: SO4198538748

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.