History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stone Castle

A Grade II Listed Building in Stone, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4434 / 51°26'36"N

Longitude: 0.2778 / 0°16'40"E

OS Eastings: 558395

OS Northings: 174061

OS Grid: TQ583740

Mapcode National: GBR X5.W5B

Mapcode Global: VHHNV.RZQC

Entry Name: Stone Castle

Listing Date: 1 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099902

English Heritage Legacy ID: 172701

Location: Stone, Dartford, Kent, DA9

County: Kent

District: Dartford

Civil Parish: Stone

Built-Up Area: Swanscombe

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Stone St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Stonewood

Listing Text

1.
5274 STONE LONDON ROAD
(south side)

Stone Castle
TQ 57 SE 4/67 1.8.52

II


2.
Now offices of the Blue Circle Group. Mediaeval and circa 1825. In the south-east
corner of the building is a mediaeval, probably late C12, square tower of 3 storeys
faced with knapped flints with some stone quoins. Parapet over it. Two arrow
slit windows in the north wall and a circular stair turret. The other windows
are modern. To the north-west of this is a house of circa 1825 which was altered by
Henry Hakewill (died 1830). Two storeys 5 windows. Faced with knapped flints with
long and short quoins of yellow brick. Stone stringcourse and cornice. Castellated
parapet of knapped flints. Spindly stock brick clustered chimney stacks. Twin
sash windows with dripstones over them. Projection of 3 storeys in the centre
with similar quoins at its angles, porch on the ground floor containing a 4-centred
arch, machicolation at the top and castellated parapet over. The west front
has 7 windows and 2 bays of 3 windows each on both floors with similar quoins
at the angle of each face. The interior has some trefoil-headed panelling of
circa 1830. In the C16 the controller of Calais, Sir John Wyllshire lived here and
Cardinal Wolsey is reputed to have stayed here on his way to Calais.


Listing NGR: TQ5704675064

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.