History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Anne

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bewdley, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3754 / 52°22'31"N

Longitude: -2.3161 / 2°18'57"W

OS Eastings: 378578

OS Northings: 275310

OS Grid: SO785753

Mapcode National: GBR 0BK.37Z

Mapcode Global: VH91S.SKYC

Entry Name: Church of St Anne

Listing Date: 22 April 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099966

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156753

Location: Bewdley, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY12

County: Worcestershire

District: Wyre Forest

Civil Parish: Bewdley

Built-Up Area: Bewdley

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Ribbesford with Bewdley and Dowles etc

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Bewdley

Listing Text


SO 7875 SE BEWDLEY CP LOAD STREET

13/109 Church of St Anne

22.4.50

GV II*

Chapel, now parish church. 1695 - 6, tower, with rest of church 1745 - 8,
some late C19 and late C20 repairs, by Thomas Woodward of Worcester and
Richard Woodward of Chipping Campden. Ashlar with hipped machine tile
roof. West tower, nave with aisles under one roof, chancel. West tower:
four stages, balustraded parapet with an urn at each corner, bands to
second and third stages, quoined; projecting square plan stair turret at
south-west corner, third stage (belfry) has a louvred window with 4-centred
head to each side, with clock face below; second stage and first stage has
semi-circular headed windows with moulded architraves, entrance on south
side; south aisle: five bays defined by flat pilasters, balustraded parapet,
moulded cornice and moulded plinth, windows have semi-circular heads and
moulded architraves with keystone and impost blocks, window in west bay
has a high sill with entrance below, restored C20 stone architrave, C18
2-leaf door with raised and fielded panels; north aisle: similar to south
aisle; chancel: one bay with window similar to aisles but of smaller size,
balustraded parapet with moulded cornice above, east window: Venetian
window. Interior: nave: five-bay arcade formed by Doric columns, segmental
plaster ceiling, flat ceiling to aisles with moulded cornice, gallery to
west end has raised and fielded panels to front. Chancel arch segmental
with keystone, east window has fluted Ionic pilasters and decorative key-
stone, C19 decorative plaster ceiling. Fittings: cut-down C18 pews, panelled
C18 oak pulpit with simple inlay. Stone tablet re-set in north-east corner
of north aisle inscribed: "Ric: Woodward/ Campden in Glos/ 1745". The
parish of Bewdley was separated from Ribbesford in 1853. (VCH 4, p 314;
BoE, pp 84 - 85; H Colvin, 1978, A Biographical Dictionary of British
Architects 1600 - 1840, London, p 915).


Listing NGR: SO7857875310

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.