This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2719 / 52°16'19"N
Longitude: -1.9575 / 1°57'26"W
OS Eastings: 402999
OS Northings: 263755
OS Grid: SP029637
Mapcode National: GBR 3J5.HYB
Mapcode Global: VHB01.1505
Entry Name: Barn About 60 Yards South East of Chapel House Farm
Listing Date: 10 April 1954
Last Amended: 28 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100008
English Heritage Legacy ID: 156558
Location: Redditch, Worcestershire, B97
Electoral Ward/Division: Astwood Bank and Feckenham
Built-Up Area: Redditch
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Astwood Bank St Matthias and St George
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
REDDITCH B FECKENHAM ROAD (south side)
SP 06 SW
4/82 Barn about 60 yards south-
east of Chapel House Farm
10.4.54 (formerly listed as barn
100 yards south-east of
Hunt End Farm)
Barn. Early Cl7 with mid-C19 alterations. Handmade red brick with sandstone
ashlar dressings, quoins and plinth; plain and machine-tiled roof with parapets
(now partly replaced) at gable ends. Rectangular three-bay plan aligned roughly
north/south. Two levels. Main west elevation: left and central bays have two
splayed-mullioned 2-light windows; these flank a semi-circular headed archway
with keyblock and a continuous hood mould with returns runs above door and
windows. Right bay has square-headed archway with moulded sandstone head and
jambs. Attic lights in gable ends. Interior: roof has two intermediate collar
and tie-beam trusses with two collars and struts. Subsidiary scissor braces
and two tiers of purlins. The building is known locally as "the Roman Chapel"
but there appears to be no evidence to substantiate its medieval or earlier
origins or former ecclesiastical use. It stands on a moated site and most
probably is a surviving outbuilding or wing of a large Jacobean house (now
demolished). (BoE, p 249). Chapel House Farmhouse is not included in this list.
Listing NGR: SP0299963755
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings