History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Redditch, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.297 / 52°17'49"N

Longitude: -1.9057 / 1°54'20"W

OS Eastings: 406528

OS Northings: 266548

OS Grid: SP065665

Mapcode National: GBR 3HV.YVW

Mapcode Global: VH9ZV.XJDG

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 10 April 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100022

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156594

Location: Redditch, Worcestershire, B98

County: Worcestershire

District: Redditch

Town: Redditch

Electoral Ward/Division: Matchborough

Built-Up Area: Redditch

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Ipsley

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Redditch

Listing Text

REDDITCH B IPSLEY CHURCH LANE (north side)
SP 06 NE Ipsley

2/118 Church of St Peter
10.4.54

- II*


Parish church. C13 with C14 and C15 alterations and additions; further
alteration in 1785; restored 1867. Part sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings,
part sandstone ashlar; plain tiled roofs with decorative ridge tiles and parapets
at gable ends with cross finials. West tower, four-bay nave (originally aisled)
with lean-to vestry, two-bay chancel. Mainly Decorated style. West tower: C15;
two stages with chamfered plinth and moulded plinth band; diagonal buttresses
with offsets at west end and buttresses with offsets at eastern corners; lower
stage has a 3-light west window with hopdmould and stops, a narrow cusped light
on north and south sides and narrow ogee-arched lights beneath the intermediate
string; 2-light louvred bell chamber openings with hood moulds and stops;
embattled parapet. Nave: C13 and originally with C13 south aisle and C14 north
aisle; both aisles were demolished in 1785 and nave much restored in C19;
chamfered plinth and buttresses with offsets at bay divisions; north elevation
has a 3-light window in the easternmost bay and the adjoining bay has a large
blind archway; the C20 vestry adjoins the two westernmost bays and has a
catslide roof, four 3-light casements in its north elevation and a door at its
west end. South elevation has a 2-light easternmost window and two 3-light
windows which flank the south entrance; the latter has a pointed archway of
two chamfered orders, a hood mould and is inserted in a large blind pointed
archway similar to that in the north elevation. Chancel: C14, restored in C19;
chamfered plinth and plinth band; diagonal buttresses with offsets at east
corners; 3-light east window and both side elevations have a 2-light window
and a traceried lancet; windows all have hood moulds. Interior: pointed four-
bay nave arcades still partly visible; C13 south arcade had both cylindrical
and octagonal piers and the capital of the south-west-respond is carved with
head and foliated detail; the north arcade had octagonal piers and arches
of two hollow-chamfered orders. Pointed chancel and tower arches have
responds with moulded capitals and bases. C19 roofs; nave has a king-post
roof and chancel has arch-braced collar trusses with trefoils pierced in the
braces. Early C14 seven-sided font; basin has a battlemented moulding around
the top and two ball-flowers at each angle. Ornate Jacobean pulpit with
intricate strapwork detail from Easton in Herefordshire. Also small C17
Netherlandish wood relief of the Sacrifice of Isaac attached to the north
jamb of the chancel arch. Memorials: two alabaster floor slabs in the
chancel originally inlaid with bitumen to Nicholas Huband, died 1553, and
his wife Dorothy, died 1558 and to Sir John Huband, died 1583 and his wife,
died 1557. At the west end of the nave on the north side is a large late C17
wall memorial, to Anne Huband, died 1672, which has a swan-necked pediment,
a scrolled architrave, Corinthian columns and a coat of arms. Despite consider-
able C19 restoration work this church retains a significant amount of its
medieval masonry, notably in the tower; the medieval font, pulpit and
memorials are of particular interest. (VCH 3, p 125 - 6; BOE, p 201).


Listing NGR: SP0652866548

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.