This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2976 / 52°17'51"N
Longitude: -1.9061 / 1°54'21"W
OS Eastings: 406503
OS Northings: 266606
OS Grid: SP065666
Mapcode National: GBR 3HV.YQT
Mapcode Global: VH9ZV.XJ61
Entry Name: Ipsley Court (South Wing)
Listing Date: 10 April 1954
Last Amended: 28 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100064
English Heritage Legacy ID: 156491
Location: Redditch, Worcestershire, B98
Electoral Ward/Division: Matchborough
Built-Up Area: Redditch
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Ipsley
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
REDDITCH B BERRINGTON CLOSE (west side)
SP 06 NE Ipsley
Ipsley Court (south wing)
(former1y listed as Tpsley Court
10.4.54 South Wing and now used as
South wing of large house, now unoccupied offices. Late Cl7 (with earlier
origins); altered c1724 and mid-C18; restored and remodelled late C20.
Handmade red brick in English bond with steeply-pitched machine-tiled hipped
roof and brick ridge stack. L-plan; main part of roughly six bays aligned
east/west with north-west single-bay return; C18 full-height canted bay
window at east end and two external chimmeys (one has some original brick-
work) to south side elevation of main part. Two storeys and attic with
dormers; chamfered plinth, two-course band between main storeys and promin-
ent C18 style moulded and bracketed timber eaves cornice, now much restored.
Irregular fenestration; windows are all C20 casements in new openings. Bay
window addition is rendered and has 12-pane sash windows on both floors.
Three gabled dormers on south side. Main entrance in north side with a large
C20 lean-to glazed porch. Interior: extensively remodelled but retains its
Cl? dog-leg staircase with large turned balusters and moulded handrail. At
the rear of the north return a stone 4-centred.doorhead is reset in the wall.
Ipsley Court is believed to be the remains of the Great House built for Sir
John Huband in C16. The north return of the south wing was originally
attached to the central part of the house which was demolished in 1724 when
it was sold to the Reverend John Dolben. In the mid-C18 Dr Walter Landor
(father of W S Landor, the poet) restored the surviving south wing and north
wing (qv), the latter being altered to form a barn and stable. During the
late C20 a new central section was built linked to the wings by brick walls.
(VCH 3, p 123; BoE, p 201).
Listing NGR: SP0650366606
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings