History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cedars

A Grade II Listed Building in Redditch, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.309 / 52°18'32"N

Longitude: -1.9489 / 1°56'56"W

OS Eastings: 403578

OS Northings: 267874

OS Grid: SP035678

Mapcode National: GBR 3HT.63D

Mapcode Global: VH9ZV.57J8

Entry Name: The Cedars

Listing Date: 5 November 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100067

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156501

Location: Redditch, Worcestershire, B97

County: Worcestershire

District: Redditch

Town: Redditch

Electoral Ward/Division: Batchley & Brockhill

Built-Up Area: Redditch

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Redditch Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Redditch

Listing Text

REDDITCH B CEDAR PARK ROAD (west side)
SP 0367 NE
11/25 The Cedars

5.11.79

II


Farmhouse, now nursing home. C18 or earlier, remodelled in 1840 for Samuel
Allcock, a Redditch needle manufacturer; extended late C19, 1930 and altered
c1970. Sandstone ashlar and painted brick; fishscale slate roofs with stone
stacks and grouped brick shafts. Roughly H-plan; the central two-bay range
and the north wing date from the 1840 remodelling; the south wing is a later
addition. Two storeys and attic; gables have pierced scalloped bargeboards
with moulded finials. East entrance elevation: four bays; the south gabled
wing is more advanced than the north wing; first floor windows have drip-
moulds, some with head stops said to come from Bordesley Abbey. Central
part has a small gable above the left bay; ground floor 5-light stone-
mullioned window; first floor has a 3-light and a 2-light window; attic light
in gable; main entrance to right has gabled porch, 4-centred archway with square
head, dripmould with head stops and the date "1840" carved in Roman numerals
at the centre; above the mould is a shield within a quatrefoiled traceried
panel; narrow lights in side elevations of porch-and half-glazed door within;
south gable end to left has a small ground floor hipped bay window, a 4-light
first floor window and a loophole in the gable apex; 2-light first floor window
and glazed double doors in angle with main part. North gable end to right has
a large ground floor hipped bay window, a 3-light first floor window and an
attic light. Interior: There is a small room at the rear of the main part
lined with C17 panelling said to come from Bordesley Abbey. Single-storey
additions of c1930 and c1970 adjoin the south side of the south wing.


Listing NGR: SP0357867874

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.