History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lychgate About 20 Yards South-West of the Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Hagley, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4246 / 52°25'28"N

Longitude: -2.1183 / 2°7'5"W

OS Eastings: 392052

OS Northings: 280741

OS Grid: SO920807

Mapcode National: GBR 1CC.Z4Z

Mapcode Global: VH91Q.7BH4

Entry Name: Lychgate About 20 Yards South-West of the Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 17 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100107

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156388

Location: Hagley, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, DY9

County: Worcestershire

District: Bromsgrove

Civil Parish: Hagley

Built-Up Area: Stourbridge

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Hagley

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Hagley

Listing Text

SO 98 SW HAGLEY CP HAGLEY PARK

2/125 Lychgate about 20 yards
south-west of the
Church of St John
the Baptist

GV II

Lychgate. Dated 1876 and built as a memorial to George William Lyttleton,
fourth Lord Lyttleton. Timber-framed on tall chamfered sandstone ashlar
base; plain tiled gableted roof with overhanging eaves on cusped and
chamfered brackets. Arch-braced brattished tie-beams with quatrefoil tracery
pierced in spandrels. Above tie-beams are two panels with 4-centred heads
and with three cusped, pointed openings. A pair of gates are set beneath
the west archway. The side elevations are of three cusped pointed lights;
in the central light is set a cross on a stepped base and with the transverse
arm intersecting with the flanking mullions. All the timbers are chamfered
and there are inscriptions on the inner and outer faces of the tie-beams,
braces and wall-plates. Within the lychgate there is a bench at each side.
Above the benches are set stone plaques; on the north one is written: "ERECTED
BY FRIENDS AND NEIGHBOURS/ IN HONOURED MEMORY OF/ GEORGE WILLIAM 4TH BARON/
LYTTLETON 1876"; on the south one is written: "LET US THINK OFTEN OF DEATH/
NOT AS THE END OF OUR LIFE/ BUT AS AN EVENT IN OUR LIFE/ L/." The lychgate
is a well-detailed example in a focal position in front of the Church of St
John the Baptist (qv) facing the north-east elevation of Hagley hall (qv).
Included for group value.


Listing NGR: SO9205280741

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.