History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tutnall and Cobley, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3203 / 52°19'13"N

Longitude: -2.0079 / 2°0'28"W

OS Eastings: 399557

OS Northings: 269136

OS Grid: SO995691

Mapcode National: GBR 2G6.H64

Mapcode Global: VH9ZM.4YV3

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 16 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100167

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156224

Location: Tutnall and Cobley, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B60

County: Worcestershire

District: Bromsgrove

Civil Parish: Tutnall and Cobley

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Tardebigge

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Barnt Green

Listing Text

SO 96 NE TUTNALL & COBLEY CP HIGH HOUSE LANE (off north side)
Tardebigge

9/172 Church of St Bartholomew

16.11.67

GV II*


Parish church. 1777 by Francis Hiorn restored and chancel added
1879 - 1880 by Henry Rowe. Ashlar with tile and copper roof. Nave, west
tower, apsidal chancel. West tower: three-stage tower surmounted by slender
octagonal spire; second stage open with concave walls and pairs of Doric
columns to corners capped by urn finials; each wall has a semi-circular
headed opening; first stage has a moulded cornice with pilastered semi-
circular headed openings with keystones; ground stage: central entrance
has doorcase with engaged Doric columns and pediment below a Diocletian
window; radially glazed fanlight and two-leaf door; tower flanked by a
vestry each side, each with a semi-circular headed window. Nave of five
bays, each has a semi-circular headed recess below a moulded cornice with
parapet above and urn finials; four bays to right have semi-circular headed
windows with multi-pane iron windows. Chancel: moulded plinth and cornice
square with apse; the apse has three windows with semi-circular heads;
priest's door in south wall. Interior: octagonal 'narthex' beneath tower;
chancel arch semi-circular. Gallery to west on two square piers, front of
gallery has raised and fielded panels. Fittings: C18 box pew in north-east
corner of nave; wall memorial to Lady Mary Cookes, died 1694, above pew, has
barley sugar columns, and relief medallion of husband and wife; in the
chancel, wall memorial to Other Archer, died 1833, with weeping maiden,
signed "Chantrey 1835". This church occupies a hill-top site and the
spire is a prominent landmark. (BoE, pp 275 - 276; Howard Colvin,
A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840, 1978, p 419;
VCH 3, p 228; Margaret Dickins, A Thousand Years in Tardebigge, 1931,
pp 85 p 90).


Listing NGR: SO9955769136

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.