This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2227 / 51°13'21"N
Longitude: 0.4396 / 0°26'22"E
OS Eastings: 570456
OS Northings: 149880
OS Grid: TQ704498
Mapcode National: GBR NQC.9Z3
Mapcode Global: VHJMK.KJRK
Entry Name: Wardes Moat
Listing Date: 25 July 1952
Last Amended: 14 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100272
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175000
Location: Yalding, Maidstone, Kent, ME18
Civil Parish: Yalding
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Yalding St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
YALDING VICARAGE ROAD
TQ 74 NW
Wardes Moat (formerly listed
as The Old Vicarage)
Vicarage, now house. Built by the Rev. John Warde, Vicar 1759-1798 (MHLG
Provisional List of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest, 1960).
Additions of c.1880, and C20 alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond.
Double depth. Formerly 2 storeys, attic and semi-basement; attic converted
to third storey in early C20. Brick plinth. Red and grey brick plat band
in English bond above ground and first-floor windows. Moulded and finely-
dentilled rubbed brick eaves cornice (or former parapet cornice), with high
parapet above it forming front wall of third storey. Roof not visible.
Rear stacks to left and right, and slender projecting brick stack towards
front of each gable end. Regular 5-window front of recessed twelve-pane sashes
with splayed rubbed brick voussoirs. Similar windows to ground floor (second
from right blocked). Smaller similar windows to second floor, but with central
tripartite- sash. Three-window right return. Central half-glazed and panelled
door in fielded-panelled recess, with architrave of fluted Doric pilasters,
triglyphed frieze and moulded triangular pediment with modillioned soffit, up
seven stone steps with moulded risers and wreathed iron handrail with stick
and barley-sugar balusters. Similar central doorway to rear, but without
pediment. Red and grey brick addition of c.1880 to left; 1½ storeys, with
plat band, parapet, and plain tile roof hipped to left. One eight-light
mullioned and transomed first-floor window with stained glass top lights, and
two ground-floor casements, also with stained glass top lights. Single-storey
1970s addition to right, set back from front elevation, red brick in Flemish
bond, with plinth, plat band, parapet, and recessed twelve-pane sashes with
splayed rubbed brick voussoirs. Interior: staircase with moulded cheeks and
hand-rail, and turned balusters. Panelled doors. Shouldered fireplace-
surrounds and iron grates. Moated site.
Listing NGR: TQ7045649880
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings