This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8275 / 51°49'39"N
Longitude: -0.4712 / 0°28'16"W
OS Eastings: 505451
OS Northings: 215430
OS Grid: TL054154
Mapcode National: GBR G5V.7PW
Mapcode Global: VHFRS.SB7B
Entry Name: Cheverells and Attached Stables
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Last Amended: 19 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100372
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157781
Location: Flamstead, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, AL3
Civil Parish: Flamstead
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Flamstead
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
FLAMSTEAD CHEVERELLS GREEN
TL 01 NE
2/5 Cheverells and attached
26.1.67 stables (formerly listed
as Cheverell's Park)
Dower house to Beechwood Park estate, now a separate country house.
Circa 1693 for Saunders family; 'Wm. Willingdon 1706' scratched on LH bay
of S front which is in a different style; alterations to attached
coachhouse range in C19 as service wing; alterations, SE extension and
new NW porch with bay window in position of former entrance 1911 for
Sir Edgar Saunders-Sebright. Red brick, Bath stone porch and front bay,
hipped old red tile roofs. A large square compact house of 2-storeys
facing W with lower 2-storeys long service/coachhouse extending N from
NE corner and contemporary large 2-storeys hipped stables block
extending to W and facing N. At SE an extension of S garden front to E
in similar style and height. Symmetrical W front in header-bond, of 7
windows closely spaced, rusticated brick Doric clasping corner pilasters
with triglyph and full entablature, to each. Cornice continuous across
front below stone balustraded parapet having dies over 2nd, 4th, and 6th
windows with urns on each. Segmental rubbed brick arches to segmental
headed flush box sash windows with 6/6 panes (upper LH 2 are dummies).
Brick keystones to alternate windows: shaped brick apron to alternate
windows: rectangular aprons with guttae brackets to others.
Symmetrically placed internal chimneys. Large central single-storey
stone semi-octagonal bay window with balustrade and 4 ball caps, at
position of former entrance. Pilastered and balustraded Bath stone Doric
porch at new entrance on N side of house with panelled double doors and
round-arched doorway. S front to garden has similar rusticated Doric
corner pilasters in red brick with cut brick triglyphs, with gadrooned
urns over on the dies of the stuccoed balustraded parapet. Symmetrical
arrangement of 3 windows, 2 2-storeys semi-octagonal bays in grey brick
header-bond with red brick dressings and flat gauged arches, flank a
semi-circular, single-storey bay, all with casement windows. The bay
windows are probably an addition of c.1700. Tall 2-lights casement
windows. Matching RH extension has similar rusticated pilaster, urn and
parapet, being of 2-storeys, cellar and attic. Long N service range has
on W a wide 3-centred arched carriage entrance, now blocked, with
stepped stone keystone and impost blocks. Recessed sash windows.
Flemish-bond with blue headers and bright red brick dressings. Ovolo
moulded plat-band. Hipped roof stable block has torus moulded plinth,
and ovolo moulded high plat-band. High flat arch on N and sash windows
of 3/3 panes. Interior said to have a painted ceiling and carving of the
Grinling Gibbons school. (Pevsner (1977)143: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL0545115430
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings